Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:19
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2006

Hi people,
Is there any way to use the auto-propagate function to change TM suggested translations in the target segment automatically to ones that I’ve confirmed in the translation above? At the moment by using Translate to Fuzzy any new segments will be automatically translated if I enter a translation for the same term/phrase, but any pretranslated segments have to be placed using Get translation. My penalties are set to 0.
Thanks
Jo

[Edited at 2006-03-24 13:09]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Use Tools/Translate in the workbench Mar 24, 2006

Is there any way to use the auto-propogate function to change TM suggested translations in the target segment automatically to ones that I’ve confirmed in the translation above?

It is a very good way of keeping the order (in the past, translated and in the coming/untranslated segments)

smo

PS: additionally you can use Files/maintainance in case you need to change segments globally (like switching "colour" to US' "color")

[Edited at 2006-03-24 12:55]

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Vito Mar 24, 2006

Yep, I use Translate on almost everything.

After pretranslating if a 100% match is ok, fine, but if there’s a fuzzy match and I translate the target to the right translation then close it, the translation is added to the TM but won’t auto-propagate throughout the doc I’m working on. Sdlx does this if you check the Auto-propagate function and you can set a penalty.

I don’t really understand why Trados doesn’t do this because the source segments are unchanged wh
... See more
Yep, I use Translate on almost everything.

After pretranslating if a 100% match is ok, fine, but if there’s a fuzzy match and I translate the target to the right translation then close it, the translation is added to the TM but won’t auto-propagate throughout the doc I’m working on. Sdlx does this if you check the Auto-propagate function and you can set a penalty.

I don’t really understand why Trados doesn’t do this because the source segments are unchanged whether pretranslated 100% or fuzzy or no-match. The no-match ones will auto-propagate through the doc with Translate to Fuzzy, but not the pre-translated ones.

Maybe I haven’t found the right button yet.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:19
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Probably because SDLX has own editor Mar 24, 2006

The editor in sdlx is in the form of a table, so the changing of subsequent segments is possible. In Word at least this would be difficult to maintain, I believe.
Besides I don't like that function in sdlx not so much, the same segment can get different meaning depending on the context.
My two eurocent!
Heinrich

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Auto-propagate function in Trados Mar 24, 2006

There is no auto-propagation in Trados, it is only available in SDLX.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't use the pretranslate function Mar 24, 2006

Hi Jo,

I don’t really understand why Trados doesn’t do this because the source segments are unchanged whether pretranslated 100% or fuzzy or no-match. The no-match ones will auto-propagate through the doc with Translate to Fuzzy, but not the pre-translated ones.

Which is the main reason why I usually avoid the pretranslate function.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback guys Mar 24, 2006

I wonder if this has changed in SDL Trados 2006.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Auto-propagate function in Trados Mar 25, 2006

Jo Macdonald wrote:

I wonder if this has changed in SDL Trados 2006.

No, it hasn't.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-propagate function in Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »