https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/44303-cant_get_a_bilingual_rtf.html

can't get a bilingual RTF
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 23:14
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 27, 2006

from a TM, which I generated with TagEditor. It just keeps giving me original + TTX on pretranslate.

I'd need to go into Word and Translate to Fuzzy all the segments but there's got to be another way.

Any ideas? It's Trados 7.0 version

TiA

smo

PS: I can write a Word macro to go through all the files, but that's hardly a solution fit for human consumtion.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Deselect "TRADOStag XML Workflow for Word files" Mar 27, 2006

in Options - Translation Memory Options - Tools

This should help.

Regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I deselected that darn checkbox and it works! Mar 27, 2006

Hi Jerzy:

where th does one learn this stuff...?! I feel like a case of arrested development.

Maybe they should rename the checkbox from

"TradosTag XML workflow for Workbench RTF files"

to

"Screws up pretranslation of TagEditor RTF files".

Just to make it more .... readable. More ... close to our way of thinking.

Thanks a mil Jerzy, I owe you a drink.

smo

... See more
Hi Jerzy:

where th does one learn this stuff...?! I feel like a case of arrested development.

Maybe they should rename the checkbox from

"TradosTag XML workflow for Workbench RTF files"

to

"Screws up pretranslation of TagEditor RTF files".

Just to make it more .... readable. More ... close to our way of thinking.

Thanks a mil Jerzy, I owe you a drink.

smo

PS: creeeping thought - now that this checkbox is off, what will screw up on me this time?

[Edited at 2006-03-27 18:19]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Oh, it works - if you know what you want from it Mar 27, 2006

Usually, as there is nothing perfect.
I'm a self-educated victim of software, maybe that's why I almost always look into all possible options and settings a software offers?

Best regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Given the fact there 9 checkboxes... Mar 27, 2006

on that Tools Page alone, it's a wonder in a way that we make it work (9! come to 8640 combinations) .

Still, why beat that horse ... TRADOS is a decent tool and there's a huge amount of knowledge and possibilities behind it.

Sigh. anyhow - I think I have a happy customer by now. Not that without your hint, I would be doomed to manually pass 232 files through Word.

It was like ... releasing the hand brake;)

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm glad I could help Mar 27, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:
It was like ... releasing the hand brake;)

Well, that's really nice - I like driving a car

OTOH - we will never try all the possibilites offered by those 9 checkboxes (I'm not good anymore in maths, so I rely on your numbers here), as some of the functions are obvious how to be used. When I wrote I like to look at program settings I didn't mind to change all of them - but sometimes I do change the one or other setting. As for this particular setting in Trados - I read about it in the help file, as I prepared me to process Word in Tageditor.
So sometimes RTFM (in fact, not manual, but help files, as they are much better than the manual) is really helpfull

Regards
Jerzy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Check your maths Mar 27, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

on that Tools Page alone, it's a wonder in a way that we make it work (9! come to 8640 combinations) .

Well, if it is 9 checkboxes, it comes to 2^9=512 only - not that I would like to check them all manually or that ir really matters.

Just for th record.

Antonin

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Oh, dear... Mar 27, 2006

it is still too much. I thin a 6 gear transmission is sufficient for my car, everything outraging that will be discarded. So that's the reason I found the right setting - it was the 6th gear

Best
Jerzy

Stefanie Neubert
Stefanie Neubert  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to German
+ ...
self-educated software victims... Mar 28, 2006

Just a short commentary a bit off the topic ... after my last exciting experiences with Tag Editor:

Aren`t we all self-educated software victims ?!?!?! ;o)

I am for sure. Not that I do not believe that the programm does not work.. but finding the mistakes can be quiet a quizz sometimes!! And actually one has to admit: Trados Help Topics are not the best... everything that goes off the normal procedures is simply not included. At least this could be a bit better.
... See more
Just a short commentary a bit off the topic ... after my last exciting experiences with Tag Editor:

Aren`t we all self-educated software victims ?!?!?! ;o)

I am for sure. Not that I do not believe that the programm does not work.. but finding the mistakes can be quiet a quizz sometimes!! And actually one has to admit: Trados Help Topics are not the best... everything that goes off the normal procedures is simply not included. At least this could be a bit better. OR???

SUNNY REGARDS!

Stefanie
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can't get a bilingual RTF

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »