Mobile menu

Remaining problems with Trados 5.5.2.257
Thread poster: gilkain
gilkain
Local time: 06:50
English to French
+ ...
Mar 29, 2006

Hello everybody ! I am new on this forum and this is my very first posting.
I am working in a large organisation and until recently we were using Trados 5.5.0.247 / Office 97 under NT4. Everything was working fine.
We recently migrated to XP SP1 and Office XP. Since then we had lots of problems.
Some of them were fixed by installing the Trados cumulative patch. we are thus now running Trados 5.5.2.257.
The head of our IT section is put under pressure because of the remaining problems. We are going to evaluate version 7.5 but until we do so (things happen very slowly here), we would like to keep our 5.5.2.257 running for a while.
The question is : now that we fixed some of the problems with the patch, is there a way we can fix the remaining ones or is this simply impossible ? Is Trados 5.5.2.257 so old that it cannot work at 100% under XP/Office XP ? Or are there workarounds for every single problem which may occur ?
Does anybody have any idea how much problems are left with our current setup ?
This would help us decide what is best for the future.

Thank you !

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What problems are there? Mar 29, 2006

Hi gilkain,
Welcome to the forum!

I am working in a large organisation and until recently we were using Trados 5.5.0.247 / Office 97 under NT4. Everything was working fine.

...except that Microsoft stopped supporting NT4 with security updates and patches at the beginning of 2005 (IIRC)...

We recently migrated to XP SP1 and Office XP. Since then we had lots of problems.
Some of them were fixed by installing the Trados cumulative patch. we are thus now running Trados 5.5.2.257.

Can you describe these problems?

The question is : now that we fixed some of the problems with the patch, is there a way we can fix the remaining ones or is this simply impossible ? Is Trados 5.5.2.257 so old that it cannot work at 100% under XP/Office XP ? Or are there workarounds for every single problem which may occur ?

Windows XP is not a problem - Office XP shouldn't be either.

[quote[Does anybody have any idea how much problems are left with our current setup ?
[/quote]
Not unless you tell us about them...

Best regards
Ralf

gilkain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some clarification about our problem with Trados 5.5.2.257 Mar 30, 2006

To answer your questions, out network is completely private. No connection to the Internet. No means to import data from the outside world. Security patches are thus not a problem. The reason why we do not install them all is because our system runs some special security tools which do not always like those updates...

Anyway, things were running OK under NT4/Office 97. All translators were happy.

Some time ago the IT section decided to migrate to XP SP1/Office XP SP2. Since then.........

In short, Word crashed up to 25 times a day, which requires a reboot. The Trados windows sometimes opens outside the viewable screen area, the Trados toolbar disappears, etc. I was able to find workarounds for most of these issues.

Now, the translators are becoming crazy and are wondering why the IT section decided to migrate with a result that nothing seems to be working today !

We talked to Trados but they do not support 5.5 anymore. And buying 7 will take at least a year. So I have no choice we have to find a way to make our dear old 5.5 work until then.

Yesterday the head of the IT section asked me to provide her with a list of the problems which have not happened yet but which might occur in the future if we continue to work with 5.5 ?!?!?! OK, I know what you must be thinking... But this is not a joke ! Not easy to write up a list of things you are not aware of, right ?

I thought somebody here may have gone through the same problems and may be able to "tell me in advance" what may arise in the future if we keep on using that 5.5.

I read several postings on these forums which make me think it is never going to work 100% OK. Now, it is no easy task to summarize all that.

Any idea ?

Merci !!!

(From a counrty where it is raining a lot today... Belgium)

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Special consultancy required Mar 30, 2006

Hi again,

To answer your questions, out network is completely private. No connection to the Internet. No means to import data from the outside world. Security patches are thus not a problem. The reason why we do not install them all is because our system runs some special security tools which do not always like those updates...

...could these tools be part of the problem? For example, do they interfere with Word macros (remember that Trados uses macros for integration with MS Word)?

We talked to Trados but they do not support 5.5 anymore. And buying 7 will take at least a year. So I have no choice we have to find a way to make our dear old 5.5 work until then.

One solution I can think of is to hire the services of an independent consultant - contact me through my profile if you think this is feasible.

Yesterday the head of the IT section asked me to provide her with a list of the problems which have not happened yet but which might occur in the future if we continue to work with 5.5 ?!?!?! OK, I know what you must be thinking... But this is not a joke ! Not easy to write up a list of things you are not aware of, right ?

I thought somebody here may have gone through the same problems and may be able to "tell me in advance" what may arise in the future if we keep on using that 5.5.

Not entirely impossible, but very unlikely without knowing your environment in detail.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remaining problems with Trados 5.5.2.257

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs