How to translate tracked changes
Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 20:55
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Apr 1, 2006

My customer sent me an MS Word file in English. It contains tracked changes – some deletions and some additions; the additions are in Czech, and I am supposed to translate the tracked additions to English and to keep all tracked changes as tracked changes.

Neither Trados nor Transit seems to be able to cope with it, at least not in a straightforward way.

Any ideas or experience how to do it using CAT tools?

TiA

Antonin

Direct link Reply with quote

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Unfortunately no advice here... Apr 1, 2006

...but I do have a related comment. Yesterday I was finishing up a rather long expert opinion written by a professor (not easy and full of tracked changes). I got to the end, but Trados didn't.

At first I was confused; I've experienced invisible text before (white on white), but that wasn't it. I then realized that Trados had opened a segment of text that had been deleted, but still remained in the "bubbles" for tracked changes.

Actually, I hate it, because it doesn't help to just check off the track changes (they turn themselves on again every time you open Word). In the end, I had to go in and accept all the changes, so that Trados would stop at the end.

So, there may be a way to translate the tracked changes, if they are turned on (Trados had obviously opened a new segment), but I couldn't see where the segment was opened. It's kind of hit and miss, but I bet you could just start typing (blind) and it would stick. On the other hand, I doubt that the clean-up will work (kind of like when you translate in embedded graphics - it looks like it will work, but it doesn't).

Otherwise, you may want to copy out the tracked changes, translate them with Trados and paste the translations back (or just make the changes directly this one time).

Best regards,
Derek

[Edited at 2006-04-01 10:07]

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 21:55
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
You may translate two files Apr 1, 2006

I suggest you to get a copy of the original file, and rename it (such as revisions). In the original file reject all changes and close track changes function, save the file and use any CAT tool to translate it. After this translation is complete, open the other file (revisions). In this one accept all changes, close track changes function, save the file and using the TM from the previous file translate the file.

HTH

Selcuk Akyuz

Florence B  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Comparison and fusion Apr 1, 2006

Not sure if this is the exact wording, I have a French MSWord. This is just below tools/tracked changes.

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I suggest you to get a copy of the original file, and rename it (such as revisions).
... In this one accept all changes, close track changes function, save the file and using the TM from the previous file translate the file.

Along Selcuk's lines - when this "revisions" file is cleaned, use "comparison and fusion" to integrate it to the original file.

In options/modifications, don't forget to select "colour according to the author" (or whatever it might be called in your version).

If things work properly, you should have a file that includes the previous changes in one colour, then your changes (ie, your translation, tracked) in another colour. Now if your translations have changed the order of the words a lot in the sentences, the result could be hardly readeable.
This kind of things is always very tricky.
Florence

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I must have been unclear Apr 1, 2006

I should only translate the tracked changes; the original tracked changes should not remain in the document, but should be translated into another language; and their "tracked-changes" status must be preserved.

Antonin

Terejimenez  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
How to translate the changes and comments Aug 8, 2011

Hello dear colleagues

I need to translate the tracked changes, deletions and comments of a .doc file using SDLX
Does any one know how to do it?

Thanks a lot,

Tere

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate tracked changes

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums