Mobile menu

Bilingual TM: how to split it?
Thread poster: Maria Antonietta Ricagno

Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:45
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 1, 2006

Does anybody know how to split a huge bilingual TM?
Now it is 188.400 Kb large and even exporting it as txt would it be problematic.

Thank you for you help and suggestions.

Anto

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
Splitting criteria? Apr 1, 2006

Maria Antonietta Ricagno wrote:
Does anybody know how to split a huge bilingual TM?
Now it is 188.400 Kb large and even exporting it as txt would it be problematic.

Let's assume you use TRADOS 7.

The problem is not how to split your TM; this is easy. The problem is how to do it sensibly.

For instance, this is how you export all segments where the source begins with "a":

• select File|Export... in the menu; a popup will open
  • select your source language in the lower left pane; click on "Add"; the field "Criterion" will become editable
  • enter "a*" into the Criterion field
  • click "OK", a new popup will open
  • enter an appropriate file name and save.

By repeating that with appropriate modifications, you will collect 52 tiny TMs for each upper or lower case letter of the alphabet. Only, these TMs will have no earthly use.

So, you will have to define your own criteria on which you want to split your TMs first. Once you have those, you will be able to use a modification of the procedure given above to split your TM appropriately.

Expect some loss or duplication, since for each given TM, you probably won't be able to come up with a criterion that is refined enough to catch all appropriate phrases that ought to go in there.

P.

[Edited at 2006-04-01 13:10]

[Edited at 2006-04-01 13:12]

Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 1, 2006

Thank you Peter.

You are right, I forgot to specify I use Trados 7.
I will think about the possibilties you set forth, what I worry most about is the size of the TM, as once (when it was smaller) I tried to export it and my PC was blocked for hours until I decided to stop the procedure.
I will consider it.
Bests

Anto

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Look at the exported file first Apr 2, 2006

If you look at the whole exported file, you might see where the specific client/job boundaries fall. Of course, the most obvious criteria are time and date of creation. That way you will not split the TM in the middle of a document (however, TMs tend to get mixed up with time, anyway).

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
instead of a*, b* etc May 4, 2006

use dates - older than, younger than etc. I do not think you made all the entries on one single day (g). And even if you did, you cans till use time; for selection

smo

PS: why do you want to cut it up anyhow??

stinker
German to English
Splitting a DB May 12, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

use dates - older than, younger than etc. I do not think you made all the entries on one single day (g). And even if you did, you cans till use time; for selection

smo

PS: why do you want to cut it up anyhow??

Simple: if you use the workbench commercially (i.e. in a company) in a server-client environment.

Here, the licence is structured according to the number of DB entries (i.e. segments in a TM) and the number of people allowed to access the workbench at the same time.

The smallest "package" is: 100,000 entries and 3 licenses.

If your DB hits 100,001, it cannot be displayed. Your choices?
Either increase DB capacity to 250,000 (which costs you an arm and a leg) or split your DB.

Just to avoid confusion: even if you split a DB with 100,001 entries into 2 DB, you CANNOT load both DBs because the total of DB entries would be higher than 100,000. You will have to load and unload your DBs as you need them.

There is a work around for TRADOS 6.5. at Server-Client level.
Just do not access the DB via the Server, i.e. put your DB into your local network.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual TM: how to split it?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs