How to import proprietary-format files
Thread poster: Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:16
English to German
+ ...
Apr 7, 2006

Hi all,
My client produces Help files in a proprietary text format which contains mark-up commands with formatting information, etc. These files now have to be translated.
Is there a way to import these into Trados while maintaining all of the information?
I'm thinking about the DTD settings under TagEditor, but have no experience with these whatsoever.
Is it possible to create one's own "import/export filter" for dealing with unusual formats?
Thanks for any help,

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:16
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
In general, everything is possible, but the files must be seen... Apr 7, 2006

Hi Mike,

it depends on the actual format of these files and their mark-up inserts. The solution could vary form using a standard tool, a very simple macro, a very complex macro or a real program to process the files.
I've done several similar jobs, to process, export, prepare for translation, and... even more important, reimport the final result or rebuild the original format after translation.

If you send me a significant sample I could probably give you a less vague indication for a convenient solution.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import proprietary-format files

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs