Nicholas Pain
Nicholas Pain  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:06
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2006

Hi - can anyone help?
I just finished a 120 page document with trados. Now, when I turn off reveal codes to hide the tags/source text, whole segments of my translation disappear. Then they reappear when I click on reveal codes and bring back the tags/source text.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this damn CAT tool is driving me frantic...

Thanks in advance!

David Heim
David Heim  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trados 7 - Reveal codes Apr 18, 2006

Taking off the "Reveal Codes" doesn't remove them, it just hides them. If you want the document without the codes, you you need to use the cleanup tool. I would recommend saving the document under a different name in case you ever want the codes again.

Just go to Translator's Workbench and select "Tools" and then "Cleanup" add the document you want to clean up and click on the "Clean Up" button. It removes all the trados markings.

Hope this helps.

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:06
Italian to English
+ ...
Tweak Tools/Options/View Apr 18, 2006

It's not normal for whole segments to disappear when you hide tags/code. It sounds like you may have to adjust Tools/options/view depending on the type of text that is lost.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:06
Italian to English
+ ...
Have you typed the translation over the source text? Apr 18, 2006

Hi Nicholas,
The first time I used Trados (before I had Workbench) just using Word with Hidden Text visible I typed the translation over some parts of the source text by mistake. It sounds like you might have done the same.
If you display the hidden text you should see two copies of each segment, the first is the source, which is hidden and deleted after cleaning up, and the second is where the translation should go and what remains after cleaning up.

You can still do t
... See more
Hi Nicholas,
The first time I used Trados (before I had Workbench) just using Word with Hidden Text visible I typed the translation over some parts of the source text by mistake. It sounds like you might have done the same.
If you display the hidden text you should see two copies of each segment, the first is the source, which is hidden and deleted after cleaning up, and the second is where the translation should go and what remains after cleaning up.

You can still do this with Workbench running by typing the translation into the top text box, but it’s much harder to get it wrong, and you’ll notice straight away because when you close the segment the source language/text remains visible and the translation disappears.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »