Multiterm iX installation
Thread poster: Adrián Morgollón
Adrián Morgollón
Local time: 22:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 23, 2006

Hi everybody,
I just got multiterm iX for Trados 6.5. It is compressed in a .rar file but when I open it there are only 3 files: Trados iX Term.ccd, Trados iX Term.sub, Trados iX Term.img. There is not an .exe or setup file and therefore I don´t know how to install multiterm iX in Trados. Can anyone help me please? Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
CD image Apr 23, 2006

It looks like you have a CD image (probably cereated by CloneCD). Either burn it on a CD using, say, CloneCd, Nero or Alcohol 120% , etc. and install from the CD (probably an easier option for less advanced users).

Another option is to run it in a vritual drive (Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, Clone CD, ...)

HTH

Antonin

Adrián Morgollón
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You were right Apr 23, 2006

Thank you Antonin, you were right, I used Daemon to do it. But I have a further doubt. I have now installed multiterm iX in my computer but the only languages which it includes are German and English. I thought that multiterm iX also included other languages such as Spanish (the one I am interested on). If this is not so (of what I am quite sure), can you tell me if there´s any termbase of English and Spanish which I can get?. Thank you

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Not clear what you mean Apr 23, 2006

(1) It is (primarily) not a ready-made database of terms you just "come and use" – it is a tool for recording your own terms (or receiving them from customers) – perhaps there are some ready databases you can link to Mulititerm somewhere, but I have no experience with that.

(2) You can definitely have your own language settings in Multiterm

(3) I only use Trados + Multiterm marginarily (my main CAT tool is Star Transit + TermStar) - so I am sure other people on this forum can give you better advice on detailed use of it. (Your original question had very little to do with what was in the image file, so my knowing that answer definitely does not qualify me as knowing a lot about Multiterm)

Antonin

Adrián Morgollón
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now it is clear Apr 23, 2006

I am just beginning to learn how to use Trados 6.5. I've been following the tutorial and when multiterm appeared on it, I thought that it was a ready database that I could use when translating (i.e. if I was translating a sentence and this sentence appeared in the database (multiterm iX), it would recognize it and I wouldn't need to translate it since it would be already translated in the database). I understand from your answer that I was wronged and that the real function of multiterm iX is just to allow me to record my own translations, isn't it? If this is like that, my next doubt is: how can I record them? Thank you.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Termbase vs. translation memory Apr 24, 2006

Hi mandu,

I am just beginning to learn how to use Trados 6.5. I've been following the tutorial and when multiterm appeared on it, I thought that it was a ready database that I could use when translating (i.e. if I was translating a sentence and this sentence appeared in the database (multiterm iX), it would recognize it and I wouldn't need to translate it since it would be already translated in the database).

That's what a translation memory does - at least in principle, except that TMs aren't "readily available". You either build them as you translate, or a TM might be provided alongside a specific translation project.

I understand from your answer that I was wronged and that the real function of multiterm iX is just to allow me to record my own translations, isn't it? If this is like that, my next doubt is: how can I record them? Thank you.

MultiTerm is used to manage terminology: not full sentences, but words or concepts.

HTH, Ralf

xxxClover
Dutch to English
+ ...
um..yes and now? Aug 2, 2007

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

It looks like you have a CD image (probably cereated by CloneCD). Either burn it on a CD using, say, CloneCd, Nero or Alcohol 120% , etc. and install from the CD (probably an easier option for less advanced users).

Another option is to run it in a vritual drive (Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, Clone CD, ...)

HTH

Antonin

Hi Antonín,

I have the same problem as Mandu, but I'n not such a whizkid...if I have those three files on a CD, how do I istall them? I have installed alcohol120%...
thanks in advance
tom

vladimir sida  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
cdmage Aug 13, 2007

You don't even have to burn the image file onto a CD. There is a fantastic free tool called

cdmage

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Images-Utils/CD-Mage.shtml

which you can use to extract the image file to a normal structure of files and folders. Just like you would with a zip file, say.

Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:44
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
A Standard Thread for an Informative Help Mar 14, 2008

Thanks all for your contribution in this thread. It was very very Informative and helpful. I did all the steps and solutions and now I have TRADOS MultiTerm iX 6.0.1.209 easily used.

Warmest Regards,
Ehab

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm iX installation

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs