https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/45699-br_tag_in_tageditor_when_translating_excel_files.html

BR tag in TagEditor when translating Excel files
Thread poster: Pavel Lyakhovsky
Pavel Lyakhovsky
Pavel Lyakhovsky  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 11:02
English to Russian
Apr 24, 2006

Dear colleagues,

I'm translating a number of Excel files containing long text strings in each cell with many line breaks. These line breakes are recognized by TagEditor as BR tags.

However when I open a segment in TagEditor it opens it from the beginning of the sentence to the first BR tag. While I would prefer to have the whole sentence open with all BR tags inside. I would then translate the whole sentence and then place all BRs manually. 'Expand segment' doesn't work
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm translating a number of Excel files containing long text strings in each cell with many line breaks. These line breakes are recognized by TagEditor as BR tags.

However when I open a segment in TagEditor it opens it from the beginning of the sentence to the first BR tag. While I would prefer to have the whole sentence open with all BR tags inside. I would then translate the whole sentence and then place all BRs manually. 'Expand segment' doesn't work for this case.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Pavel

P.S. I'm using SDL Trados 2006

[Edited at 2006-04-24 11:14]

[Edited at 2006-04-24 11:14]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 09:02
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
One should not interfere with tags Apr 24, 2006

But, having said that, I would open the ttx file in a notepad-like editor (e.g., jEdit is free) and delete the br tags from it using "search and replace". Of course, keeping a backup of the orginal ttx just in case. I am not sure it will work; it may be worth trying, though.

HTH,
Antonin

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
may be this will help Apr 24, 2006

Trados Help says:
"Identify the tags that must be internal in order not to break segments, and make sure all other elements are set to external tags."

Try to go to Tools-Tag Settings and choose appropriate *.ini file. Then click Properties-Elements tab. Find BR tag (it should be there as external) and make it internal.

Not sure if it is the correct way but I think I did this some time ago.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
BR tag as segmentation character Apr 24, 2006

...However when I open a segment in TagEditor it opens it from the beginning of the sentence to the first BR tag.

If you look at TWB (!it's the TWB and not the TagEditor that decides, what a segment is) and open setup/Segmentation rules, you may have a chance to neutralize BR in its unwanted function. I would bet "End of Paragraph" is the offending entry.

let us know, if it works.

smo

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is easier as you think (in Trados 7 and above) Apr 24, 2006

Via "All Programs" go to Trados folder, chose Filters and click on Filter settings. There chose Excel, go to Segmentation and deselect the option "Select after break tags".

In this settings you can also configure the behaviour of other filters, such as S-Taggers or Word filter - very usefull settings indeed they are!

HTH
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-04-24 12:08]

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Thanks! Apr 24, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Via "All Programs" go to Trados folder, chose Filters and click on Filter settings. There chose Excel, go to Segmentation and deselect the option "Select after break tags".

Jerzy, once more, you made my day! Thank you so much

What I do in this case is to delete the target segment (Alt + Suppr), manually delete the tag and re-open the segment, which then contains the whole sentence. A workaround to be used case by case.

Sylvain

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Cells should defined to show the text in rows Apr 24, 2006

Instead of fixed breaks one should define the cell as text and to expand down as needed.
Eliminating fixed breaks is a standard procedure also in Word.

Pavel Lyakhovsky
Pavel Lyakhovsky  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 11:02
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, Jerzy! Apr 24, 2006

Your tip was exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards,
Pavel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BR tag in TagEditor when translating Excel files

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »