Thread poster: CosmicGlobal
CosmicGlobal
CosmicGlobal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:03
Arabic to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2002

Hi, can someone tell me if i can use trados with urdu? I have never used this before and am thinking seriously abt it and after reading all the positive responses for using trados, makes me wonder if i am missing something. But a client now wants english to urdu with trados and i was told that since it is compatible with microsoft , and urdu is not i maynot be able to use it at all. can someone enlighten me on this please, thanks in advance !

Galina Nielsen
Galina Nielsen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:33
English to Russian
+ ...
Urdu-supporting CAT Aug 19, 2002

Hullo!

Unfortunately, Trados does nor support Urdu:

Translator’s Workbench

Trados Corporation. Supported languages are Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Finnish, Greek,Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish.

http://www.foreignword.com/Technology/tm/tm.htm.

B
... See more
Hullo!

Unfortunately, Trados does nor support Urdu:

Translator’s Workbench

Trados Corporation. Supported languages are Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Finnish, Greek,Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish.

http://www.foreignword.com/Technology/tm/tm.htm.

But the same site recommends a localisation tool:

Passolo

Software localization tool with integrated dialog and bitmap editor, fuzzy matching, glossaries and checking functions. Professional Edition with VBA compatible scripting engine and automation. Works with standard Windows resources, Delphi, Visual Basic, Java, Databases and others. Unicode version for Asian and Right-to-Left languages included. Optional interfaces for TRADOS Workbench and STAR Transit available

Can you use it, maybe?

Best regards

Squi

Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 06:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
Urdu and Trados Aug 19, 2002

Greetings.

Based on recent comments by a friend in Pakistan who works in Urdu, save your money and don\'t buy Trados, as that doesn\'t support Urdu properly.

Also, Urdu and Pashto have some distinctive characters not found in Dari or Farsi, and for working with Urdu, Trados reportedly searches for the closest-approximate equivalent and, as a result, mangles the displayed text.

HTH. Good luck.

Regards.

... See more
Greetings.

Based on recent comments by a friend in Pakistan who works in Urdu, save your money and don\'t buy Trados, as that doesn\'t support Urdu properly.

Also, Urdu and Pashto have some distinctive characters not found in Dari or Farsi, and for working with Urdu, Trados reportedly searches for the closest-approximate equivalent and, as a result, mangles the displayed text.

HTH. Good luck.

Regards.

Stephen H. Franke

(English Arabic,

Kurdish, and Farsi)
Collapse

Abid Riaz
Abid Riaz  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 15:33
Member (2016)
Pashto (Pushto) to English
+ ...
Translation software for Urdu/Pashto Aug 7, 2013

I am downloading the Trados trial version right now but I don't expect any great support for Pashto. What CAT tool is best?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using trados with urdu

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »