Mobile menu

Step by Step instruction to import TM, please?
Thread poster: Rayindra

Rayindra  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 22:17
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Apr 29, 2006

Hello friends!
I am a rookie in the confusing Trados World, after 15 years in the Tradisional Translation World.

I can start a translation project, but I'm blank when the client sent me the previous TM. I have tried to import the previous TM, but the comment is "Invalid".

The version I use is Trados 7 Freelancer.
The previous TM is in .TXT and Excel document.

Any step-by-step instruction out there? I don't understand the manual Trados gave me - too complicated for beginners.

Thank you..!!

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:17
English to French
+ ...
Here goes... Apr 29, 2006

Hello,

First off, the Excel file cannot be imported as it is.

The text file can be imported as follows:

First, either create a blank memory or open the existing memory you would like to import to. In the latter case, you will have to specify whether you want to overwrite existing TUs (translation units) with the ones you are importing (only 100% matches are overwritten), whether you want to reorganize the memory, etc. I usually keep the existing memory as it is and only add the imported memory to it without any modification, and that is what I strongly recommend doing if you are new to this, in order to prevent any loss of original TUs.

Next, you specify the text file you want to import and click OK. The new memory should be imported now.

The only two situations I see where there could be a problem in this operation are these:
- The memory you are trying to import was made with Trados 7.1 or 7.5, which are more recent versions than yours. Even so, it should only fail if the memory you are importing is using features present in the recent versions of Trados, which were not yet present in 7.0.
- The memory you are trying to import may contain several different translations for the same segment, and you may be trying to import it into a memory for which you specified that you don't allow multiple translations for the same segment (these settings can be seen and changed in the translation memory options). Please make sure that in these options, you allow multiple translations for the same segment before importing.

This should help. I am not sure if I will be here in a while, so if you read this and have any questions, please do write back quickly.

Good luck!

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:17
English to French
+ ...
So, did it work? May 11, 2006

?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Step by Step instruction to import TM, please?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs