Thread poster: Mireille Hennevanger-Both
Mireille Hennevanger-Both
Mireille Hennevanger-Both  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 1, 2006

Dear all,

I hope someone can help me out. I am currently working on a large job (120.000 words). All tagged text. Therefore I have to work with the TagEditor, a program I have hardly worked with until now (I do everything with the Workbench-Word method).

When I am working on a file and see that I have made a mistake in a previous (already closed) sentence, there is no way to correct it (or at least I have not found the method.)

What I do now, and this is ve
... See more
Dear all,

I hope someone can help me out. I am currently working on a large job (120.000 words). All tagged text. Therefore I have to work with the TagEditor, a program I have hardly worked with until now (I do everything with the Workbench-Word method).

When I am working on a file and see that I have made a mistake in a previous (already closed) sentence, there is no way to correct it (or at least I have not found the method.)

What I do now, and this is very time comsuming, is finish the file, look at corrections that I want to make, write them down on memo and actually rework the whole file, making changes in the 100% matches.

Please let me know if there is another way!!!

Thanks a lot!

Mireille
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Close the current segment May 1, 2006

Reopen the one you want to modify

Make your corrections

"Set/close" the corrected segment.

Still quite a long way, but shorther than yours.

Alternatively, you can switch off the document protection and make any changes directly in the translated text, but this should only be used with caution – this way the changes are not written in the TM.

Antonin

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
close first the current segment using "close", NOT "Set/Close next open/Get" icon May 1, 2006

When I am working on a file and see that I have made a mistake in a previous (already closed) sentence, there is no way to correct it

That was my problem also until I figured out, there can be only one segment open (you know, green and cyan) at any given time. So either it's the one you want or the one you asked the system to open for you.

What you have to do, is close the one you are in momentarily (using "close" or "restore source" icon) and open the segment you want by moving the cursor there and clicking the "open" icon. Note that if you close the current segment by using "Set/Close next open/Get", you will indeed have to do the whole document, because the program does what you ask for and that is "close the current and open the next one".

It helps to take off 15 minutes and spend them looking at all those icons (and reading their names;) It helped me anyhow...

regards

smo

[Edited at 2006-05-01 07:51]

[Edited at 2006-05-01 07:52]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:17
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Close the current segment and go back May 1, 2006

When you put the cursor at the point you want to correct and use start translation the segment in question will open.
You can search/replace throughout the document and use Translate to fuzzy in order to read the changes into the TM, or you can do a cleanup in Workbench to update the TM.
Regards
Heinrich

English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
protection May 1, 2006

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Reopen the one you want to modify

Make your corrections

"Set/close" the corrected segment.

Still quite a long way, but shorther than yours.

Alternatively, you can switch off the document protection and make any changes directly in the translated text, but this should only be used with caution – this way the changes are not written in the TM.

Antonin

Hi Antonin,

Thanks for your help. I have tried to switch off the protection but still can't make any changes.

Mireille

English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 1, 2006

Dear Vito,

Thanks a lot for your help. It finally worked. I never thought of the function close instead of set/close which I automatically use.

Now I finally know how to make changes without having to work through the entire text!

Great!

Mireille

Vito Smolej wrote:

When I am working on a file and see that I have made a mistake in a previous (already closed) sentence, there is no way to correct it

That was my problem also until I figured out, there can be only one segment open (you know, green and cyan) at any given time. So either it's the one you want or the one you asked the system to open for you.

What you have to do, is close the one you are in momentarily (using "close" or "restore source" icon) and open the segment you want by moving the cursor there and clicking the "open" icon. Note that if you close the current segment by using "Set/Close next open/Get", you will indeed have to do the whole document, because the program does what you ask for and that is "close the current and open the next one".

It helps to take off 15 minutes and spend them looking at all those icons (and reading their names;) It helped me anyhow...

regards

smo

[Edited at 2006-05-01 07:51]

[Edited at 2006-05-01 07:52]

English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good alternative May 1, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When you put the cursor at the point you want to correct and use start translation the segment in question will open.
You can search/replace throughout the document and use Translate to fuzzy in order to read the changes into the TM, or you can do a cleanup in Workbench to update the TM.
Regards

Heinrich

Dear Heinrich,
thanks for your help. Your solution is a good alternative to the one Vito came up with.

Mireille

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
It does work May 1, 2006

Mireille Hennevanger-Both wrote:

I have tried to switch off the protection but still can't make any changes.

Mireille

If you go Tools-Options...., and uncheck "Document protection" on the "Protection" tab, you can edit the translated text in any segment, regardless of whether it is currently opened or not.

It is the fastest way, but without updating the TM.

Actually, this feature of TagEditor (clumsy edits of completed segments) is one of the reasons why I do not like it.

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make corrections in closed sentences in TagEditor

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »