Incomplete TRADOS Translator's Workbench
Thread poster: Isabel67
Isabel67
Isabel67  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:18
German to Portuguese
+ ...
May 2, 2006

I had a problem with Trados. Now I can´t use Trados Translator's Workbench properly because my language combination English - Portuguese doesn´t appear to chose. If use other incorrect languages instead, it works. This weekend I used other languages and it worked but the client said that they can´t open the file on the TagEditor. They asked me to change languages to Eng-Pt. I use freelance 6 Trados.

Do I need to install Trados again?

Can someone help me?

... See more
I had a problem with Trados. Now I can´t use Trados Translator's Workbench properly because my language combination English - Portuguese doesn´t appear to chose. If use other incorrect languages instead, it works. This weekend I used other languages and it worked but the client said that they can´t open the file on the TagEditor. They asked me to change languages to Eng-Pt. I use freelance 6 Trados.

Do I need to install Trados again?

Can someone help me?

Very urgent.

Isabel
Collapse

Marius Reika
Marius Reika  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:48
English to Lithuanian
Some clues May 3, 2006

Hi Isabel,

here's some info (everything is taken from Translator's Workbench Help, (c) 2004 TRADOS Incorporated.)

Try to copy the setup of your previous TM (e.g. Eng-Pt). Following these steps you should be able to create a new Eng-Pt TM.

"Copying the Setup of an Existing Translation Memory

To copy the setup of an existing (file-based) translation memory:

1. From the File menu, choose New.

2. Click Copy. The Open Tran
... See more
Hi Isabel,

here's some info (everything is taken from Translator's Workbench Help, (c) 2004 TRADOS Incorporated.)

Try to copy the setup of your previous TM (e.g. Eng-Pt). Following these steps you should be able to create a new Eng-Pt TM.

"Copying the Setup of an Existing Translation Memory

To copy the setup of an existing (file-based) translation memory:

1. From the File menu, choose New.

2. Click Copy. The Open Translation Memory dialog box is displayed.

3. Locate the translation memory whose setup you want to copy and click Open.

4. Make any necessary changes to the source and target languages, system fields or translation memory properties.

5. Click Create to confirm the settings. A standard Windows file dialog box with the same name – Create Translation Memory — is displayed.

6. Browse to the system directory in which you wish to store the translation memory. Assign a file name to the new translation memory and click Save. Translator's Workbench automatically adds the *.tmw extension and creates the new translation memory with its associated neural network files. The associated neural network files are saved with the extensions *.mdf, *.mtf, *.mwf, and *.iix."

However I don't think that you can change the language combination (source and target) of the TM that your client cannot open:

"You cannot undo your choice of source and target languages at a later stage. However, you can add one or more new target languages at any time using the Setup command."

About languages choice during instalation:

"If you are working with the Freelance version of Translator’s Workbench, the language lists include the languages that you specified during installation of the software.

During installation of the Freelance version of TRADOS software, you must specify which five languages you want to use with Translator’s Workbench. Only these five languages and their respective sublanguages appear in the Workbench language lists."

Try reading the help file, maybe you'll find some more info.

Regards,

Marius Reika

[Edited at 2006-05-03 09:17]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incomplete TRADOS Translator's Workbench

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »