Mobile menu

How can I check XML files for completeness in Trados?
Thread poster: Gert Sass (M.A.)

Gert Sass (M.A.)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:28
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
May 6, 2006

Trados 7

This is what an outsourcer wrote:
“Please tell me how you usually handle xml files so as to detect automatically translatable segments (doing it manually is dangerous as you may accidentally alter the code).”
(Possibly it should have read “to detect translatable segments automatically” instead.)

Later on I received the following message (excerpt):
“…The xml files in this course are of 2 kinds (different internal structures) so I'll send you 2 different INI files (dtd settings for Trados)
these .ini files were created by me based on the files but they are not absolutely perfect.
This means that trados can take a few segments as translatable when they are not, or the other way around.
you will need to check the resulting clean xml file once completed to make sure that everything that trados didn't skip anything.”

Can anybody tell me how to
- detect translatable segments automatically (using a “not absolutely perfect” INI file)?
- check the resulting clean xml file once completed to make sure that everything that trados didn't skip anything?

Thanks a lot in advance for any clues.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxOlaf
Local time: 12:28
English to German
This cannot be done automatically May 7, 2006

[quote]
- detect translatable segments automatically (using a “not absolutely perfect” INI file)?

AFAIK, you cannot detect translatable segments in an XML file automatically. Unless it's standard XML format , the only way to do this trial and error, which can be pretty time-consuming.
I.e. you'd have to pretranslate the file using the supplied INI file and open it in Tag Editor and look for translatable text that is hidden and untranslatable text marked as translatable. If you find problems, you'll need to update the INI file and repeat the process until everything is OK.

- check the resulting clean xml file once completed to make sure that everything that trados didn't skip anything?

Again, this could not be done automatically, unless you know exactly, which tags need to be translated.
You could open the XML file either in a validating XML editor, which would report syntax errors caused by the translation of text that wasn't meant to be translated or you could simply open the translated XML file in a text editor and look for untranslated text. Both methods are not very reliable.
They best way would be to have the outsourcer ask the creator of the XML files which text should be translated.

HTH,
Olaf

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I check XML files for completeness in Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs