Thread poster: Liset Nyland

Liset Nyland  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:42
Italian to Danish
+ ...
May 8, 2006

Dear all,

I am about to start a very large translation job and the client has asked me to do it without CAT, because of the problems with the final formatting and those of the bookmarks and internal anchors, content and figure lists always tend to create for their translators in the final document.

Having Trados, it's a bit against my filosophy to translate "by hand", but I do not want to take any risks ruining the formatting either.

I read in the manual, that trados and tageditor handles doc-files in different ways (rtf vs. xml approach). I tend to favorize the xml-approach, even though I have not tried using tageditor on doc-files.

What would you advise me to do?

And what checks, pitfalls should I look out for during a job like this?
I have Trados version 7.0.0.615 (build 615) and Tageditor 7.0

Best regards,

Liset
Italy

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
Definitely TagEditor May 8, 2006

Hi,

With TagEditor, it is really a piece of cake, and you will have zero formatting issue. That's at least my experience...
Just go for it

Sylvain

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
TagEditor works perfectly with *.doc files May 8, 2006

Hi,

I have been using TagEditor for translating *.doc files for a while now and I must say that it handles "complicated" formatting a very satisfying way. (with *.rtf files it doesn't set tags from what I have experienced, so the text is "squeezed" a bit together, but a simple "save as" a *.doc file has always solved any problem for me... so far).

I wouldn't translate any file without using a CAT, but I think it is only a matter of habit

Giuliana

[Edited at 2006-05-08 08:50]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try Tageditor May 8, 2006

but don't trust it blindly.
Using Tageditor doesn't mean you don't need to prepare the file(s).
Before you start go through the file(s) an check the formatting. Remove unnecessary breaks, correct other formatting errors. Set the document language to your target language and save it.
Open the document with Tageditor.
Translate a sentence or two at different positions (I mean start with tehe first two sentences, then go a bit down in the file and translate there and so on, until you come to the last sentecne of the file - translate it too). This is to test, if the translated file will save from Tageditor as *.doc without problems.
Sometimes it happens, that the file will not save or saves, but causes problems.

Regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't... May 8, 2006

namely
do it without CAT, because of the problems with the final formatting and those of the bookmarks and internal anchors...

It is my experience that doing it with TagEditor is safer than doing it by hand. Of course the client has a different opinion and that opinion is what counts ...

Maybe a test translation of the first chapter using TagEditor would make them change their minds.

regards

smo

PS: btw, convert DOC to RTF. And (goes without saying) make original DOC R/O (g)

[Edited at 2006-05-08 10:41]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Generally, TE is good, but... May 8, 2006

...we're having some problems right now:
I recently reported a problem to SDL's support department concerning translation of a Windows Help RTF file (a Word file full of complicated formatting instructions that is used to generate HLP files for on-screen display).

Even just opening the file in TE and saving it using "Save Target As..." causes the footnotes to appear on all the wrong pages (major problem!). We're using Trados 7.1.

The support department wrote me a message today (after over a week), saying it works just fine on their computer. Wondering about this, I looked into the file and saw they'd processed it using SDL Trados 7.5, which I don't have...

With another recent problem, we weren't even able to open the files in TagEditor, not even in TagEditor 7.5 on a colleague's PC. We were, however, able to process most of the ~200 Word files in the project just fine.

Moral of the story: When it works, it usually works fine, but better use the latest version and don't expect too much yet.

Like Jerzy said, you better test it before diving headlong into this project.

B

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
For God´s sake don´t do that! May 8, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:
PS: btw, convert DOC to RTF. And (goes without saying) make original DOC R/O (g)

[Edited at 2006-05-08 10:41]

If you expect trouble with Word, then you will get real trouble after you saved the file in RTF. A lot problems reported by users here and concerning font and format changes occure when cleaning with Workbench. Lost or misplaced graphics and so on - only because the doc was saved as rtf!

You say it is a hevy formatted document - just saving as rtf, opening and saving as doc will most probably make changes in the formatting. And on top Word-RTF is not the favourite format for Tageditor.

As Benjamin said - when it works, it goes smooth, but some files are diabolic. Nevertheless, work done with Tageditor is not lost - you can use it to translate the original Word file.
If I were in your shoes I would test Tageditor.

Best
Jerzy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Just a small remark May 8, 2006

One of the main reasons I switched over from Trados to Transit is the big difference with respect to "heavily formatted" Word files. It is really a piece of cake in Transit; moreover, all text boxes, embedded Exel tables and such are included as well (perhaps Trados can do it now too? I am not sure).

The only real drawback is the price, but if your project is that big, it might be worth your while to get the free one-month trial of Transit XV Professional and give it a try.

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados or Tageditor for advanced .doc-files

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs