Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 9, 2006

I have SDL Trados 2006, but I never installed Multiterm yet. Now I got a bunch of glossary files for Multiterm (.mdf and .mta).
Can I install Multiterm on top of my Trados 7.5 or do I have to remove Trados and install Multiterm first?
Does the use of Multiterm change the working procedure with Trados? The file to translate is .doc, can I use TE and take advantage of MTerm?
Thanks for a few hints!
Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:32
Member (2003)
German to French
Install on top May 9, 2006

Hi Heinrich,

You can install MultiTerm without having to desinstall anything.
As for the work procedures, they remain the same. You'll simply have to go in the Options menu of the Trados Workbench and select Activate Term Recognition, then browse the options for Term Recognition to select the corresponding Termbase to use.
The terms will then show in a little window in the Workbench and you can get them in your text (in Word or TagEditor) with simple shortcuts.

HTH,
Sylvain

[Edited at 2006-05-09 13:18]

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:32
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
MultiTerm in Word May 9, 2006

Bear in mind that you can also use MultiTerm directly in Word, as well as having the options in Workbench and TE described by Sylvain Leray. But AFAIK, these are only available in Word.

You need the MultiTerm template in Word (under Tools/Templates & Add-ins, I have, in addition to Trados7.dot, also MultiTerm7.dot). Then I can select the same glossaries as in Workbench - but get additional facilities not available in Workbench or TE:

1/ I can click on any word or phrase in my DOC, click on the magnifying glass icon on the special MultiTerm toolbar, and see a list of exact and fuzzy matches in my MultiTerm glossary. I can then select one and paste it back into my doc. Because it shows fuzzy matches, it is more flexible than the Workbench facility.

2/ I can also add new words to my MultiTerm glossary. Click on a word or phrase in the doc, then click on the Add icon, and type in your translation for the term. This is then added directly to your MultiTerm glossary, and is immediately available. This provides a very convenient way of adding new terminology as you are working.

All this works in conjunction with the existing MultiTerm facilities in Workbench, but is more powerful and more flexible.

The disadvantage, as so often with Trados, is that it is not very intuitive, and you may need to practice a bit to make it all work. I find I sometimes have to close down everything and restart my computer to make it work. But when it does eventually work, it is a very useful facility -- and may tempt you to go on using Word rather than TE - even though TE has other advantages.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your input May 10, 2006

It seems Multiterm does not belong to the 2006 update, but I managed to install version 6.2 and view the stuff I got from the customer. It was not worth the effort, poor quality.
But now I have at least MT installed!
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm files, can I convert them?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs