New segments do not open in Trados
Thread poster: Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers
Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:59
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 11, 2006

I have worked with Trados 5.5 for many years now, but the file I am working on now gives me problems. After translating a segment and saving it with Set/close next Open/get the next segment does not open. I can only open it by moving the cursor there and clicking Open/get. Could the problem be that at the end of each segment there is a smal purple square with a small dot on each corner? Is this a formatting feature, perhaps?

I work on this project with several translators into other languages, and they all have the same problem. They simply close a segment with Set/close next Open/get, Open/get the next segment, and close it with Set/close next Open/get. The translations seem to be stored into the TM. Somehow, this does not seem the easiest for such an expensive CAT.

[Edited at 2006-05-11 19:01]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:59
English to Spanish
possibly maybe May 11, 2006

Hi

As you have been translating for years, very probably my suggestion is no news to you. But I mention it anyway, just in case:

the only ocassions when I remember seeing squares in a Word file was when it was corrupted. Sometimes the squares dissapear when you change the name of the original file you have to translate and often they are due to the fact that the file name has some accent or "funny" character.

If this is no use, good luck. I'm sure someone will know this one.

Kind regards

Marta

Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately this did not work. May 11, 2006

Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:

Hi

As you have been translating for years, very probably my suggestion is no news to you. But I mention it anyway, just in case:

the only ocassions when I remember seeing squares in a Word file was when it was corrupted. Sometimes the squares dissapear when you change the name of the original file you have to translate and often they are due to the fact that the file name has some accent or "funny" character.

Kind regards

Marta

Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Marta. May 11, 2006

Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers wrote:

Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:

Hi

Kind regards

Marta

Thank you so much, Marta. I had not tried your suggestion. But unfortunately it makes no difference.

Kind regards, Toiny.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:59
English to Spanish
photos? May 12, 2006

Hello

While someone comes up with better ideas, I add something:

- Is there any photo in the document or any text box? Once I opened/closed a few segments in a document and Trados would take for ages in opening the ones after a photo or a text. At the end, I decides to start a new and translate on a copy of the original file but with no photos, I then copy-pasted the photos in the relevant place, in the translation.

No more ideas, I'm afraid.

Lots of luck

Regards

Marta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New segments do not open in Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs