https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/47277-translators_worbench_only_in_maximize_view.html

Translator's Worbench only in "Maximize" view
Thread poster: Chris Michael
Chris Michael
Chris Michael  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:54
German to English
+ ...
May 13, 2006

This might be a computer issue. I believe the problem started after i "defragged" my hard drive. Workbench works, runs, translates, but it ONLY opens into Maximize view. It won't open as a normal window that can change sizes, move, and sits nicely on top of Word.

I HAVE tried uninstalling, and reinstalling SDL 2006 Freelance, but it doesn't change. I also tried refreshing the trados7.dot file in Word, and i clicked some ".bat" file that was supposed to help.

Any ideas b
... See more
This might be a computer issue. I believe the problem started after i "defragged" my hard drive. Workbench works, runs, translates, but it ONLY opens into Maximize view. It won't open as a normal window that can change sizes, move, and sits nicely on top of Word.

I HAVE tried uninstalling, and reinstalling SDL 2006 Freelance, but it doesn't change. I also tried refreshing the trados7.dot file in Word, and i clicked some ".bat" file that was supposed to help.

Any ideas before I go ape and just reinstall Windows? It's a small detail but as you guys know, it's kind of important

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
You can try to tweak your registry May 13, 2006

HKCU\software\trados\tw4win; I would experiment with height, width, x and y and see if it helps.

I once had (perhaps similar) problems when I sent the tw4win window to an external monitor and forgot to bring it back before disconnecting that monitor; the registry trick helped me tame it down again.

Well, I should reiterate now the good old "mantra" of always being careful about editing the registry, backing it up before touching it, etc.; if you are on the brink of Wind
... See more
HKCU\software\trados\tw4win; I would experiment with height, width, x and y and see if it helps.

I once had (perhaps similar) problems when I sent the tw4win window to an external monitor and forgot to bring it back before disconnecting that monitor; the registry trick helped me tame it down again.

Well, I should reiterate now the good old "mantra" of always being careful about editing the registry, backing it up before touching it, etc.; if you are on the brink of Windows reinstall anyway, perhaps you do not care so much.

Antonin
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is importnt indeed! May 13, 2006

But before you go nuts, start "Registry Editor" and get rid of this problem.

Got to Start, pick "Execute" (Ausführe in German) and type "regedit" there. Press OK.

In Registry Editor click on "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" to open the tree, click the PLUS sign beside software, scroll down to Trados, click the plus sign beside it and you will see an entry named TW4WIN.
Rename it to _TW4WIN. Restart the system. Workbench should now open in the desired view. Please bear in mind
... See more
But before you go nuts, start "Registry Editor" and get rid of this problem.

Got to Start, pick "Execute" (Ausführe in German) and type "regedit" there. Press OK.

In Registry Editor click on "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" to open the tree, click the PLUS sign beside software, scroll down to Trados, click the plus sign beside it and you will see an entry named TW4WIN.
Rename it to _TW4WIN. Restart the system. Workbench should now open in the desired view. Please bear in mind, that WB settings are resetted to factory defaults, so don´t forget to adapt them to your needs. After you are sure WB is working properly you can start Registry Editor once again and delete the _TW4WIN entry completly. Please also notice, that this procedure does not influence your databases.

And the most important security hint: PLEASE BE VERY CAREFULL when playing with Registry Editor. Don´t change anything beore you are completly sure what you are doing. Changes in registry may result in complete damage of your system.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use the forum search, or search the Trados KB May 13, 2006

Hi Chris,
Use the forum search, to search this forum for "cannot resize" - this will yield this topic, for example.

Article 1123 from the Trados Knowledge Base might also help.

I would like to reiterate Antonin's remarks regarding the general ri
... See more
Hi Chris,
Use the forum search, to search this forum for "cannot resize" - this will yield this topic, for example.

Article 1123 from the Trados Knowledge Base might also help.

I would like to reiterate Antonin's remarks regarding the general risk of editing your Windows registry.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Chris Michael
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Man, you guys ROCK!!! May 13, 2006

I have the feeling that:

a) your advice will work perfectly.

b) i'm scared sh*tless to touch the registry, as i'm away from home and don't have my windows install disk on hand.

But i'm sure it will work as soon as i get home. On the other hand, I'll probably get real expiremental and try it anyway

Thanks so much for the EXPERT advice...
See more
I have the feeling that:

a) your advice will work perfectly.

b) i'm scared sh*tless to touch the registry, as i'm away from home and don't have my windows install disk on hand.

But i'm sure it will work as soon as i get home. On the other hand, I'll probably get real expiremental and try it anyway

Thanks so much for the EXPERT advice))

your cohort,

Chris
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, that's why I wrote "rename" May 13, 2006

as in case somethings "goes into the trousers", as we Germans tend to say, you have always a pamper, ehm a security there - you can always go and rename it back.
This is quite safe, as this will most probably not damage the whole system.

Warmest regards
Jerzy

Aleksandr Surkov
Aleksandr Surkov
Estonia
Local time: 13:54
English to Russian
+ ...
May 13, 2006

Try to perform following procedures:
1. Run Workbench and Word only (maximize them).
2. Right click Taskbar and select 'Cascade Windows' (or tile horizontally (vertically)).
3. Pan and resize windows for your choice.

I hope it helps you.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Simple and effective solution May 14, 2006

Aleksandr Surkov wrote:

2. Right click Taskbar and select 'Cascade Windows' (or tile horizontally (vertically)).

I hope it helps you.

I had exactly the same problem and managed to solve it this way, without touching the registry (which I don't like to do neither)
I would give it a try at first...

Sylvain

Chris Michael
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved!!! May 14, 2006

Hey all!

Although I am a fan of going into the guts of the system and learning new things about the PC, the "Cascade" trick worked in like two seconds. And over my morning coffee to boot!! Which means I have an entire beautiful day of problem-free (knock on wood) translating to look forward to

Thanks again for everyone's quick and knowledgeable advice!!!!

your accomplice,

chris

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 19:54
English to Japanese
+ ...
thanks, too May 15, 2006

Aleksandr Surkov wrote:

I hope it helps you.

I was having the same problem with TagEditor, which was actually annoying during working. To my surprise, it instantlly cleared it off. Thanks very much!

Minoru Kuwahara
English/French-Japanese translator
[email protected]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe we do ROCK ... May 15, 2006

but, Chris, it's YOUR machine. So walk softly...

btw, Jerzy's method is safe, as long as you dont use thumbs for typing. But again, caveat emptor.

smo

PS: I'll use J's method to clean the way my word acts. Strange, but true: file open in word opens maximized, and I cant figure out the key combination to make it behave again...

PPS: or maaaybe, I'll try the suggested alternative;)

[Edited at 2006-05-15 14:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's Worbench only in "Maximize" view

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »