Why are my macrons converted to circumflexes?
Thread poster: CELC Inc
CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 20:47
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 13, 2006

I've never had any trouble with this before, but all of a sudden Trados 7FL (build 615) is converting the macrons over some (not all!) of my vowels to circumflexes.

This is true in both Word and TagEditor. I only use Times New Roman (WinXP) to avoid exactly such issues, but the issues persists even after pasting in plain text only from Notepad.

The most frustrating and potentially dangerous part of this is that despite registering the TU with macrons, they are replaced
... See more
I've never had any trouble with this before, but all of a sudden Trados 7FL (build 615) is converting the macrons over some (not all!) of my vowels to circumflexes.

This is true in both Word and TagEditor. I only use Times New Roman (WinXP) to avoid exactly such issues, but the issues persists even after pasting in plain text only from Notepad.

The most frustrating and potentially dangerous part of this is that despite registering the TU with macrons, they are replaced by circumflexes and Trados DOESN'T NOTICE! It treats these clearly different TUs as a 100% match! Manually finding and replacing all my "o-circumflexes" to "o-macrons" and reregistering the TUs in Trados makes no difference.

I'm constantly frustrated by how poorly Trados handles Japanese (MultiTerm in particular is a joke, since it relies on spaces to determine the breaks between terms, and there aren't any in Japanese -- or several other important languages like, say, Chinese!), but this is ridiculous. An application that can't do English is a disaster...

Prompt help from all you knowledgeable people out there would be very much appreciated.
Collapse

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Additional notes on above symptoms May 14, 2006

I'm also finding that Unicode character 015B (small "s" with acute accent) is being automatically converted to 0153 (small ligature "oe"). Though I've been able to work around most of the other problems, I can't even get the TU that contains this character correctly registered.

I wonder if this is indicative of some deeper problem in which Trados is somehow out of sync with the encoding on my Japanese OS (WinXP Pro Japanese).

In addition to the software savvy, is there
... See more
I'm also finding that Unicode character 015B (small "s" with acute accent) is being automatically converted to 0153 (small ligature "oe"). Though I've been able to work around most of the other problems, I can't even get the TU that contains this character correctly registered.

I wonder if this is indicative of some deeper problem in which Trados is somehow out of sync with the encoding on my Japanese OS (WinXP Pro Japanese).

In addition to the software savvy, is there anyone else working with scholarly Japanese and/or Sanskrit transliteration? If so, have you experienced this problem?

Any insight would be helpful.
Collapse

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More problems May 14, 2006

So, I accidentally entered about four or five terms with the language fields reversed in MultiTerm 7, and opened MT to edit the offending entries. Except, when I go to Edit (either from the menu or with the keyboard shortcut) the terms, I'm receiving the following error message in the application status bar:

Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Additionally, for some and only some entries, trying to edit them disables all the application keyboard shortcuts.
... See more
So, I accidentally entered about four or five terms with the language fields reversed in MultiTerm 7, and opened MT to edit the offending entries. Except, when I go to Edit (either from the menu or with the keyboard shortcut) the terms, I'm receiving the following error message in the application status bar:

Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Additionally, for some and only some entries, trying to edit them disables all the application keyboard shortcuts.

I can cancel the editing process, and I guess I could just manually re-enter all the terms, but I'm concerned for what this might mean as I have already both reinstalled and Repaired the application to deal with this problem.

Is this related to my other problems, or is it something else entirely?

PS -- If this should be a new topic, please let me know and I'll repost as such.
Collapse

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Addendum to MT7 problem May 14, 2006

I've just found that trying to delete the offending entries doesn't work: they're "in use by another user," which is bollocks because there is only one user and I have no other applications open (none!).

But it could be a clue.

Any help?

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still struggling... May 24, 2006

I'm getting kinda desperate here...

Today it was Unicode character 1E47 (small "n" with a dot beneath), but the problem is the same as that listed above with 015B (small "s" with acute accent).

Is there really no way to prevent Trados from converting all of the accent marks in a document every time I add an unusual character?

Is this a technical issue nobody else struggles with?

Is there some way to get Trados to fix this problem?

... See more
I'm getting kinda desperate here...

Today it was Unicode character 1E47 (small "n" with a dot beneath), but the problem is the same as that listed above with 015B (small "s" with acute accent).

Is there really no way to prevent Trados from converting all of the accent marks in a document every time I add an unusual character?

Is this a technical issue nobody else struggles with?

Is there some way to get Trados to fix this problem?

Just for thoroughness:
> WinXP Pro (Japanese)
> Microsoft Office 2003 (Japanese)
> Trados 7.0 (615)
Collapse

Alan Frankel
Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:47
German to English
Changing Java "next generation" setting may fix your problem Mar 31, 2009

In the following thread, Ulf Norlinger proposed a fix that solved a problem with similar symptoms. Perhaps it may solve this one as well.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/126020-adding_an_entry_from_multiterm_causes_java_null_error.html#1040545

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are my macrons converted to circumflexes?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »