Question On SDL Trados Wbch > Accessing File>SetUp...?
Thread poster: Pacifica
Pacifica
Pacifica
United States
Local time: 04:51
English to French
+ ...
May 19, 2006

Hi,

I am a newbie in SDL Trados 2006. In other words, sorry in advance for this silly question.

I am trying to acccess the Setup option in the Trados workbench File menu. I would like to apply fields to filter my TUs.

It looks like this option, as well as Import and Export, is always grey and not accessible.

I tried to open a TM or open a file for translation just to have this option activated, but still no luck.

Can you tell me ho
... See more
Hi,

I am a newbie in SDL Trados 2006. In other words, sorry in advance for this silly question.

I am trying to acccess the Setup option in the Trados workbench File menu. I would like to apply fields to filter my TUs.

It looks like this option, as well as Import and Export, is always grey and not accessible.

I tried to open a TM or open a file for translation just to have this option activated, but still no luck.

Can you tell me how to access the Setup option?

Thanks in advance.

P.
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 13:51
English to German
You'll need to open the TM exclusively May 20, 2006

When you open the TM don't forget to enable the Exclusive check box at the bottom of the dialog box. This will enable the import and export options.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 13:51
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I would like to apply fields to filter my TUs. May 20, 2006

First of all you must have the Translation Memory, you want to filter, opened. Second, you have to decide, how to filter:

o to a separate (txt) file? then you need to use Export.
o just to look at the filtered TUs (and change them possibly)? Use maintain.

Or am I missing something here?

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
To access Setup... May 20, 2006

Hi Pacifica,

If you share Trados Workbench with other users in a network, you need to open the translation memory in exclusive mode.

To do this, in Trados Workbench go to File > Open and check the "Open in exclusive mode" box. Then, you open the translation memory and Setup, Import and Export should be available.

Unless... are you using a demo version? If so, I'm afraid those options are not available in the demo version.

Anyway, as Vito point
... See more
Hi Pacifica,

If you share Trados Workbench with other users in a network, you need to open the translation memory in exclusive mode.

To do this, in Trados Workbench go to File > Open and check the "Open in exclusive mode" box. Then, you open the translation memory and Setup, Import and Export should be available.

Unless... are you using a demo version? If so, I'm afraid those options are not available in the demo version.

Anyway, as Vito points out, you don't need to access Setup to filter your TUs. What you need is to access Maintenance.

HTH.

Regards,
Jerónimo
Collapse

Pacifica
Pacifica
United States
Local time: 04:51
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually by filter I mean 'labels'... May 20, 2006

For example if I want to categorize my TUs, I would like to create the Label category and for each TUs, assign them the Field Label Law, IT, etc... so that I can filter them later (since all of my TUs are in one single TM).
Does that make sense?

Anyway, according to the user guide, this field option should be located into File > Setup...

I followed you advice: open in exclusive mode, open TM, etc..
... See more
For example if I want to categorize my TUs, I would like to create the Label category and for each TUs, assign them the Field Label Law, IT, etc... so that I can filter them later (since all of my TUs are in one single TM).
Does that make sense?

Anyway, according to the user guide, this field option should be located into File > Setup...

I followed you advice: open in exclusive mode, open TM, etc...

... and this option is still not accessible.
Since I have bought this SDL 2006, I've never been able to access this option. and I'm sure I'm not in Demo mode...

Any clue?

Thanks again, Vito and Jerónimo.

P.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question On SDL Trados Wbch > Accessing File>SetUp...?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »