https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/47913-deleting_or_overwriting_mt7_entries_through_the_word_interface.html

Deleting or overwriting MT7 entries through the Word interface
Thread poster: CELC Inc
CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 11:37
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 21, 2006

Is it possible to delete or overwrite MultiTerm (I use MT7) entries through the Word interface? Or the TagEditor (Trados 7.0) interface?

If so, I'm obviously looking for simple instructions on how to do so.

If not, why is this not possible? Is it a technical issue, or an oversight? Can I look forward to this feature in future releases or find it in some other product currently available?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:37
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
AFAIK it is not possible May 21, 2006

And I would wonder, if it would be possible.
Word interface allows you only a very limited possibility to enter terms and no possiblity to edit them.
So the logical consequence of this fact is, that the entries can only be edited/deleted using Multiterm.
IMO this is not a bug, but a feature.

Regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You can do that via MultiTERM7.dot ... May 21, 2006

interface via ctrl+shift+M. Note that you need to enter two items - source and target, so per se (Word and no Word) the operation is not as simple as closing or opening a segment.

My way of doing it: when I see something worthwhile in the source segment in the TWB, I copy the item, open the "Add item" dialog and paste the source into the source field. Then I tab into the right-hand side of the window (target item) , write the translation and copy it right away into the clipboard, so
... See more
interface via ctrl+shift+M. Note that you need to enter two items - source and target, so per se (Word and no Word) the operation is not as simple as closing or opening a segment.

My way of doing it: when I see something worthwhile in the source segment in the TWB, I copy the item, open the "Add item" dialog and paste the source into the source field. Then I tab into the right-hand side of the window (target item) , write the translation and copy it right away into the clipboard, so that I can paste it later, when doing the target segment.

If there's a faster and a more elegant way of doing it on the fly, I would appreciate to know too.

[Edited at 2006-05-21 19:06]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Adding vs. deleting/overwriting May 21, 2006

Hi Vito,

You can do that via MultiTERM7.dot ...

That would be adding terms - AFAIK you cannot delete or overwrite in this way. Can you?

Cheers, Ralf

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 11:37
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does anybody else think this feature would be a good idea? May 21, 2006

If there's a groundswell of support for the inclusion of this feature in future releases of MT, perhaps it would be worth suggesting it to SDL/Trados.

What do you all think?

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, it is technically possible but you have to program it yourself May 22, 2006

CELC Inc wrote:

Is it possible to delete or overwrite MultiTerm (I use MT7) entries through the Word interface? Or the TagEditor (Trados 7.0) interface?

If so, I'm obviously looking for simple instructions on how to do so.

If not, why is this not possible? Is it a technical issue, or an oversight? Can I look forward to this feature in future releases or find it in some other product currently available?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

The Multiterm 7 API allows the deletion and merging of entries but this functionality it is not included in the MultiTerm macro. Perhaps they didn't include it because it is safer to do these things from the Multiterm directly and they thought that not many people would want to do it from the Word interface.

If you know some VBA programming and have access to the MultiTerm 7 SDK, it should not be too difficult to make a macro to do it. If not, you can keep asking TRADOS to do it for future releases.

Daniel

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Correct, you can add only entries with MultiTerm7 interface... May 22, 2006

... but not change them.

And yes, it's a bother, especially when you have a typo in the definition and have to go to MultiTerm proper.

Appologies for sidetracking the discussion. Otoh, maybe my entry helped somebody - who had the other question (g).

smo

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
VBA programming and access to the MultiTerm 7 SDK May 22, 2006

is possible to everybody with Office (ie word 2000 and later). The fact that we have so very little of extras - actually nothing - in terms of TRADOS plug-ins is simply due to the awsome TRADOS object model.

I counted 33 TRADOS entities - from TRADOS Controls Type Library to TRADOStag API 2.0 in my system. The only company to beat this number is (of course) Microsoft - with the difference that while I can look up everything in MSDN in case of Microsoft. I find absolutely nothing
... See more
is possible to everybody with Office (ie word 2000 and later). The fact that we have so very little of extras - actually nothing - in terms of TRADOS plug-ins is simply due to the awsome TRADOS object model.

I counted 33 TRADOS entities - from TRADOS Controls Type Library to TRADOStag API 2.0 in my system. The only company to beat this number is (of course) Microsoft - with the difference that while I can look up everything in MSDN in case of Microsoft. I find absolutely nothing in case of TRADOS. Is it omission? I allow myself the benefit of doubt.

Standing in front of this model reminds one of that classical first screen in Dungeons and Dragons 1.0: "You stand in front of an old house. It is midnight. You are empty handed... Proceed to...: left, right, exit"

Believe me, exit makes sense here. Not that I have not tried to get in.

[Edited at 2006-05-22 10:34]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deleting or overwriting MT7 entries through the Word interface

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »