Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:25
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
May 21, 2006

I wondered if there is a solution to the nuisance problem of the change in font size when wanting to copy a phrase from the concordance window. In most of the documents I am translating I am using a font size of 11.5. Whenever I highlight something in the concordance window, right-click and choose "copy to clipboard", and then paste it into the target box, it appears in the target box in size 10. I then have to go to the trouble of using the Format menu in Word to highlight it and choose to chan... See more
I wondered if there is a solution to the nuisance problem of the change in font size when wanting to copy a phrase from the concordance window. In most of the documents I am translating I am using a font size of 11.5. Whenever I highlight something in the concordance window, right-click and choose "copy to clipboard", and then paste it into the target box, it appears in the target box in size 10. I then have to go to the trouble of using the Format menu in Word to highlight it and choose to change it to 11.5. By the time I have done all this, I would have been quicker just typing it out.

Is there a way round this problem, or is that just how it works?

Astrid
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Paste special - unformatted text May 21, 2006

Hi Astrid,
Instead of Paste (Ctrl-V), use Edit - Paste special (Bearbeiten - Inhalte einfügen, if you're using a German Word version), and select unformatted text.

I have assigned a shortcut (Alt+F2) to that Word command.

HTH, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The problem is almost always the same May 21, 2006

You are using 11,5 pt for your texts, but I´ll bet your style is set to Times New Roman 10 pt. So everything you paste will per default get this style - at least this is so in my case.

The style and the text in Word should match. If they don´t, changes when editing are normal. You will get also problems with Trados.

Regards
Jerzy

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, thanks Ralf! May 21, 2006

Good evening Ralf,

Thanks very much for such a quick answer. Yes, I have already found "Inhalte einfügen" in the menu. I never knew it was there before!

It seems like a good idea to make a shortcut, too!

Astrid

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Work with TagEditor May 21, 2006

so you can avoid this kind of problems. If you prefer to work in Word, you can use better the "Brush" tool to correct font formats it is easier and faster.

Regards

Fernando

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I find out what the style is set to? May 21, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

How do I find out what the default style is set to? In the bar at the top I set the style and size that I am using (Arial, 11.5). Is there a default setting somewhere else that I need to alter?

Astrid

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Have the same kind of problems... May 21, 2006

I think it works like this:

the segment pair seems to retain the font it was written in. I do not know about 'standard', maybe/I think in this case font does not get remembered.

I would dearly like to know what to do to clean fonts out of my TMs. There must be some way to do that via export / edit / import - any ideas out there?

smo

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brush tool? May 21, 2006

Hi Fernando,

Thanks very much for the tip about the brush tool - I have never used that before, either.

I don't know how to work Tag Editor yet. It was included in the day's Trados training I attended last September, but I have long forgotten what I learnt about it there. Maybe I'll give it a go again, because most of the content for those new Trados exams is all about the Tag Editor.

Astrid

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Very easy way May 21, 2006

Beside the name of the style you´ll see a double A symbol like this .
Click on it. It opens some kind of assistent, like here

Right click on the "Standard" and select "change" (or edit - in German "ändern").
You´ll see this:... See more
Beside the name of the style you´ll see a double A symbol like this .
Click on it. It opens some kind of assistent, like here

Right click on the "Standard" and select "change" (or edit - in German "ändern").
You´ll see this:

Here you can set up everything you wish for your normal style. This setting affects always the current document. If you wish to make this change for all your new documents you create (using the command "New" in Word), so you need to open the Normal.dot (don´t double click on it in Explorer window, but go to Word, select "Open" from the File Menu, select "Templates" (Vorlagen) as a document type, navigate to c:\documents and settings\current user}application data\microsoft\templates (c:\dokumente und einstellungen\benutzername\anwendungsdaten\microsft\vorlagen)). Then edit the style as you wish and save the template. This will affect all documents you create. This will not affect documents created by someone else on other PC.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, super, Jerzy! May 21, 2006

Many thanks, also for going to the trouble to show all the illustrations here. It is all extremely useful.

Have a nice evening!

Astrid

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You´re welcome :-) May 21, 2006

Now you know what ProZ hosting is good for.

Best
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change in font size when pasting from concordance

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »