Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
(40005): Unknown Exception - TagEditor 2006 Error
Thread poster: Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:30
Swedish to English
May 25, 2006

While attempting to open .inx files in Tag Editor I keep getting a pop up window with the error message (40005): Unknown Exception and am unable to proceed.

I am running Trados freelance 2006 on Windows XP SP2 with MS Office 2003 Pro.

I did find and try the following solution from the SDL support database but it did not work!

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Ben

Bug: Troubleshooting Errors 40005, 80005 when Opening Files in TagEditor or Crashes when Opening HTML/XML/SGML Files
Applies to: TagEditor 7

When a TRADOStag (TTX) file is opened in TagEditor, the error (40005): "Unknown exception" occurs.
When a native file (XLS, PPT, DOC, RTF) is opened in TagEditor, the error (80005): "Unexpected error when opening file '' using a plug-in filter" occurs.
When an HTML or another markup language file is opened in TagEditor, TagEditor crashes with an error message.

In these instances, the Arial font is not available in the Source and Target font lists in the Translator's Workbench translation memory setup on the File - Setup - Fonts tab.

The Arial font is heavily used in all TRADOS applications. If Arial is not available in the font lists in Translator's Workbench, this means that Windows is not properly communicating the font information about Arial to TRADOS. If this is the case, unpredictable behaviour and instability will occur. To troubleshoot this behaviour, all Arial font variants need to be removed temporarily from the Windows Fonts folder and then re-installed. The main Arial font needs be re-installed first.

Create a new folder for temporarily moving the Arial fonts, such as, C:\TempFonts. Open this folder in Windows Explorer.
Open the Windows fonts folder - C:\Windows\Fonts (default on Windows XP) or C:\WINNT\Fonts (default on Windows 2000) - in another Windows Explorer window. Switch to the Details view so all fonts and their file names are displayed.
Arrange the two Explorers in such a way that font files be easily dragged & dropped from the Fonts folder to the TempFonts folder.
One by one, drag each font which has a name starting with "Arial" from the Fonts folder and drop it into the TempFonts folder. This uninstalls the font. After each font is moved, confirm that the font is indeed no longer listed in the Fonts folder.
Repeat this for all fonts starting with the string "Arial". Ensure that no Arial font is left in Fonts folder.
Now drag the font "arial.ttf" from the TempFonts folder back to the Fonts folder. This re-installs the font. Confirm that Arial is now available again in the Fonts folder. It might also be called "Arial Standard" or carry another localised name.
Start Translator's Workbench and check if Arial is now listed in the Fonts list. Important: If you don't see it, reboot your PC and check again. Sometimes you must reboot the PC to clear the font cache.
You can now drag & drop all other Arial font variants back into the Fonts folder.
Start TagEditor and open a file. Errors and/or crashes should no longer occur.

Trados Article ID: 1590
Created: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:43:35 PM
Last updated: Friday, October 28, 2005 7:50:55 AM

[Edited at 2006-05-25 19:47]

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 15:30
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Oct 18, 2006

Perfect explanation
perfect procedure
everything works perfectly now

Robert Tanase  Identity Verified
English to Romanian
+ ...
annoying problem, simple solution Dec 28, 2006

the trick worked for me too

tectranslate ITS GmbH
+ ...
Version Feb 8, 2007

FYI: This is one of the fixes listed for the freely downloadable patch. So, installing the patch should remedy this problem.

Local time: 08:30
Language code problem Jun 12, 2007

You will also get this error if a language code is not recognized by Tag Editor. For example, if the target language is "ES-XL" instead of "ES-MX" then you will get the error.

Koral Özgül  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:30
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thank you so much Jun 27, 2008

I was tearing my hair off since days! Trados error messages are often not more self-explanatory than Microsoft error messages. I would never be able to guess the solution by myself.

Another strange thing is also connected to this issue:
After installing the trial versions of several games one day, the system font behaviour and appearance changed in a strange way. One of them was that some Web sites, including Gmail, showed incorrect fonts. My default Google Mail fonts strangely become all Italic, and I couldn't correct it whatever setting change I've tried!

That was also the day Trados applications started to behave oddly if they ever could be started.

Your solution also reverted my Gmail page to its good old appearance.

[Edited at 2008-06-27 04:53]

Alexandre Teterin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Thank you! Oct 16, 2008

It worked for me too.

Agnese Ruska  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:30
English to Latvian
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 6, 2009

Thank you very, very much! That helps!!!!

Ugne Vitkute  Identity Verified
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
It worked for me too! Mar 12, 2009

Thank you for this tip very much!

English to Romanian
Not for me it didn't :( Jan 4, 2010

I experience the same problem as the original poster, have the same Trados ( and XP SP2 with Office 2003, I have the Arial font in the Fonts tab, I even upgraded with the cumulative patch 2 to the build 759 and still nada, same darn 40005! Can anyone please explain? This time it was an .xml file in TagEditor, but occasionally I also have problems with .inx (not today, as I have managed to open an .inx.ttx, but not the .xml.ttx ). I hope there is a solution for this case as well, but I haven't found it yet, maybe someone could help.
Thanks a lot.

Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
Partial member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Perfect! Feb 24, 2010

Thanks for the posting, worked great for me!

Jason Huang
Local time: 21:30
English to Chinese
Thanks! Jun 1, 2010

Although I cannot find the patch mentioned above, this tip did work.

Thanks a lot!!

Local time: 21:30
English to Chinese
(40005): Unknown Exception - TagEditor 2006 Error Sep 20, 2011

I just found the solution from search engine. But it won't work on my computer. I still encounter this error when I click the TTX file. Does anyone know another solution? Thanks.

40005 unknown exception - ANOTHER SOLUTION Oct 4, 2011

I have tried fooling around with Arial fonts, but it didn't work (I use Trados 2007 build 835, Windows 7 64 bit). The Arial font was listed in my Workbench Setup, but I tried uninstalling it and installing it back anyway.

This is what I did to help myself:

1) I opened an old ttx file (using TagEditor) that I already translated and which worked normally like it should just to check if the 40005 error would appear. It didn't. A tip: use file from the same client. That way you will be sure it was translated with same settings for language pairs.

2) Then I closed it and reopened it in Notepad.

3) Then I searched the file (using Notepad Find tool) for "Sourcelanguage" and for "Targetlanguage" and checked what was the value. In my case "EN-US" for the first, and "SH-HR" for the second.

4) Then I opened the TTX file (using Notepad) which I wasn't able to open due to 40005 error and checked the same values (Sourcelanguage and Targetlanguage). Here I found out that these values were different than in the TTX file which I was able to open without 40005 error.

5) I changed the values according to what I found in that TTX file that worked (EN-US for Sourcelanguage, and SH-HR for Targetlanguage).

And that solved the problem!

Bottom line: after trying the Arial solution which didn't work (check if the Arial is listed in Fonts in Setup of the Workbench first, because if it is, you are probably wasting your time), I tried to change language codes in the file itself and that did work.

[Edited at 2011-10-04 09:49 GMT]

Local time: 10:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
You rock! Aug 14, 2013

PeerVanDark, you saved me! Much more simple solution and it really works! Many many thanks!

[Editado a las 2013-08-14 05:51 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(40005): Unknown Exception - TagEditor 2006 Error

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs