Cleaning an .dot document in Trados (Workbench)
Thread poster: Suzanne de Loos
Suzanne de Loos
Suzanne de Loos
Netherlands
Local time: 10:23
Member (2006)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 5, 2006

Hi,

I'm sorry if I touch a subject which has been discussed a 1000 times already, but I searched the forum and could not find an answer to my specific problem.

I have translated a word document in Trados but do not succeed in cleaning it.
It' s my own fault because this is a .dot (document model) document and not a doc. document..
But as I succeeded using Workbench for translating I didn't pay any attention to it.

I tried to save the documen
... See more
Hi,

I'm sorry if I touch a subject which has been discussed a 1000 times already, but I searched the forum and could not find an answer to my specific problem.

I have translated a word document in Trados but do not succeed in cleaning it.
It' s my own fault because this is a .dot (document model) document and not a doc. document..
But as I succeeded using Workbench for translating I didn't pay any attention to it.

I tried to save the document as a .doc but obviously didn't succeed in saving it.
I also tried to open it in Tag Editor but this doesn't work either.

Does anyone know how I can clean this document? The deadline is today..:)

Thanks a lot,

Suzanne

(Trados 6.0)
Collapse

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
Save .dot as .doc, clean, then save back as .dot Jun 5, 2006

Hi Suzanne,

How about saving this document under .doc format, clean it as you would with any regular document, then save back the cleaned version under .dot format?

I see nothing which would prevent you from doing so.

Kind regards,
Denis Hay

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:23
English to French
+ ...
Try this Jun 5, 2006

First, take your original untranslated source document and save it as .doc. Then, run the Workbench Analyse tool on it, with your memory open. After that, run the Translate tool. This should implement your translations from the momery in the newly created .doc. Once this is done, it is likely that all translated segments that Workbench found units for in your memory will appear in black. If black was not the colour of your source text, just select the black text and change its colour back to the... See more
First, take your original untranslated source document and save it as .doc. Then, run the Workbench Analyse tool on it, with your memory open. After that, run the Translate tool. This should implement your translations from the momery in the newly created .doc. Once this is done, it is likely that all translated segments that Workbench found units for in your memory will appear in black. If black was not the colour of your source text, just select the black text and change its colour back to the original colour. If you see any segments that weren't translated, now is the time to fix that, although your memory should already contain the translation s for all of the segments in the document.

Another way to do this is to follow the steps above, but instead of using the Translate function, you simply open the newly created .doc document and your memory and apply the translations to the segments manually, one by one.

Once your newly created .doc is translated and cleaned, open it and save it as .dot if that is what your client needs.

So, to resume it, you need to create a .doc source document to which you will apply the memory you created when you translated the .dot. It should give you the same results, except that this time, as the document will be in .doc format, Trados will let you clean it.

I hope this helps. I have never had this problem and didn't even know that .dot files can cause such problems, but I guess this si due to the fact that .dots being templates, there are parts of it that are uneditable, and Traods locks down when trying to erase original parts at the celean-up stage.

Please do try this, as I am confident it will help. If you have any problems with this, you can always write back here and I'll see if there are any alternatives.

Good luck!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the Word macro to clean up Jun 5, 2006

With your document open press ALT + F8, then scroll down to tw4winClean.Main and let it run.

Be aware, that this macro does not save any changes in your TM, so you will need to update your TM either by opening and closing changed segments as would you translate them or by saving a copy of the document as doc file and cleaning this one.

Regards
Jerzy

Suzanne de Loos
Suzanne de Loos
Netherlands
Member (2006)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 7, 2006

Hi,

Thank you all!
In the end it was easier than I thought and in fact, by copying and pasting in a new document instead of trying "save as" I obtained a doc. document which I could clean.
So Denis's simple advice turned out to be sufficient, but thanks again for the other proposed solutions.

Regards,

Suzanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaning an .dot document in Trados (Workbench)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »