https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/48982-failed_to_create_java_virtual_machine.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
"Failed to Create java Virtual Machine"
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 00:34
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 7, 2006

This is a continuation of my Java saga from

http://www.proz.com/topic/47995

I decided for a separate thread, because it is a different problem. Symptoms in TagEditor: whenever a pretranslation is requested/available in a record the message box comes up (see title). The pretranslation does happen - thank God - but it's a pain in the back just to look at the message box.
... See more

I decided for a separate thread, because it is a different problem. Symptoms in TagEditor: whenever a pretranslation is requested/available in a record the message box comes up (see title). The pretranslation does happen - thank God - but it's a pain in the back just to look at the message box.

It must be connected with the contents of the INX.ttx file I am currently working on - TagEditor does not complain, when other inx.ttx files are being processed.

By the way, it is not TagEditor per se, it must be the TWB that tagEditor is talking to, because the same error message box appears in red when pretranslating in TWB.

Right now I can live with it, but it makes me worry.

TiA

Vito

[Edited at 2006-06-07 05:34]
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Reply from Trados Jul 20, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

It must be connected with the contents of the INX.ttx file I am currently working on - TagEditor does not complain, when other inx.ttx files are being processed.

By the way, it is not TagEditor per se, it must be the TWB that tagEditor is talking to, because the same error message box appears in red when pretranslating in TWB.

Right now I can live with it, but it makes me worry.

TiA

Vito

[Edited at 2006-06-07 05:34]

Hi Vito,

I got a similar problem, when I try to make an analysis of a small *.inx file. The analysis stops, and I get the same Java Virtual Machine error message, just like you. No word count is achieved

I spoke to Trados support, and they told me to uninstall alla Java versions, reboot, and only reinstall JRE v 1.4.2_8, this is the only sanctioned version guaranteed to work with Trados.

Tell me if it helps...

/Jan

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
See summary of my way out of problems Jul 20, 2006

Hi Jan:

I summarized what I learned on the way ouf of the problems in

http://www.proz.com/topic/50964

It includes also the "deinstall 1.5 Java" hint from TRADOS. I am now flying carefree.

Could it also be, that I have no more INX files to fight;\

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Still getting "Failed to create Java Virtual Machine" Aug 3, 2006

Hi Vito and all,

I reverted to the prescribed JRE version, but I still get the same error, this time it occured when I tried to cleanup a small ttx into a small inx.

When I've been probing SDL about this, the support backs out when I tell them that we're running the floating license on a terminal server. Since this environment is not officially supported, they took their hands off and left me in the dark from there on.

/Jan

AvantixG
AvantixG
Local time: 18:34
Possible Fix Feb 8, 2010

Hi all,

I ran into this issue today >> "Failed to create Java Virtual Machine" >> To fix it, I simply closed Workbench and I could then produce a clean target file.

Hope this helps~

KJIDTP
KJIDTP
Local time: 16:34
English
Still an ongoing problem Apr 1, 2010

AvantixG wrote:

Hi all,

I ran into this issue today >> "Failed to create Java Virtual Machine" >> To fix it, I simply closed Workbench and I could then produce a clean target file.

Hope this helps~

I think the problem the others here are experiencing is different, as so are my own experiences with the "Failed to Create java Virtual Machine" error. I'm not a translator, but I work for a translation agency, and am responsible for cleaning many TTX files into the source INX format.

My experience with the error is as follows:
When the SDL Trados Filter Settings for "Java Virtual Machine Size" is set to default, you will not see the error. However, if you encounter a large INX.TTX file, you will be unable to clean the file, receiving the error message "Could not process the file since file/file content size is large."

If you change your SDL Trados Filter Settings for "Java Virtual Machine Size" to anything other than default, you will then receive the "Failed to Create java Virtual Machine" error mentioned in this thread - not only while trying to clean this large INX.TTX file, but whenever you try to clean any INX.TTX file.

SDL released a hotfix specifically regarding this issue in November 2009. This seems to have improved the performance, allowing more large INX.TTX files to be cleaned, however I at least still experience the same problem once a file exceeds a certain size, and changing the JVM size settings in the Trados Filter settings, still results in the "Failed to Create Jave Virtual Machine" error.

Letra
Letra  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Use the same TM on the same PC Apr 15, 2010

This solution helped me to avoid the problem. When I tried to clean up the file on another PC (not on the PC where it was created), I got the error message about Java Virtual Machine. But when I copied the file back on the initial PC, I managed to clean it up smoothly (the same TM, the same settings).

Matthieu Moroni
Matthieu Moroni  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
German to French
+ ...
My solution Sep 7, 2010

Hello,

I had the same problem with TagEditor and .inx CS3 files.
TagEditor crashes after an error message "Failed to Create java Virtual Machine".

My solution is: I close Trados and Workbench, then I delete as many files as possible in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp.

TagEditor works smooth again when I relauch it.
Hope this helps!

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
another solution ... Sep 8, 2010

I have java 21 (last update) and in my case no one fix worked: Talisma, Proz, other forums

finally I clicked on Add/Remove Programs then Custom (Personalizzata in Italian), then I choosed the Microsoft Virtual Machine instead of Java Virtual Machine and it worked !!!

so I think it is a Java bug added by this recent update, but the Vertere blog fix didn't work too

hope it helps in other situations

Claudio

[Modi
... See more
I have java 21 (last update) and in my case no one fix worked: Talisma, Proz, other forums

finally I clicked on Add/Remove Programs then Custom (Personalizzata in Italian), then I choosed the Microsoft Virtual Machine instead of Java Virtual Machine and it worked !!!

so I think it is a Java bug added by this recent update, but the Vertere blog fix didn't work too

hope it helps in other situations

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-09-08 22:51 GMT]
Collapse

Martin Janda
Martin Janda  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
Merci, Matthieu! Sep 8, 2010

Your tip helps even after 4 years!

Martin

Joern Wennerstroem
Joern Wennerstroem  Identity Verified
English to Danish
Failed to create Java Virtual Machine Oct 16, 2010

In Trados Studio 2009 I get the infamous "Quick Inserts will not be available. Failed to create Framework 1 plug-in-filter components. Failed to create Java Virtual Machine.

File type ID: Trados Indesign Filter 1.0.0.0
---------------------------------------------
Maybe related to this error is TS2009's lacking ability to finalize for ttx-files. I also cannot do a Save Target as command. I just get a status-bar, a lot of clicking and clanking on the harddrive plus an e
... See more
In Trados Studio 2009 I get the infamous "Quick Inserts will not be available. Failed to create Framework 1 plug-in-filter components. Failed to create Java Virtual Machine.

File type ID: Trados Indesign Filter 1.0.0.0
---------------------------------------------
Maybe related to this error is TS2009's lacking ability to finalize for ttx-files. I also cannot do a Save Target as command. I just get a status-bar, a lot of clicking and clanking on the harddrive plus an empty ttx-file.

I also cannot run TagEditor 2007 - same Java problem (I gather) but the wording is a bit different.
I run Win XP, SP 3
Java version is: Java 6.0.220

I've of course looked at the various suggestions, none has helped. I've checked SDL's site too, nada....

Needless to say I'm at my wit's end.

Best,
Joern W.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
On the TTX files.. Oct 16, 2010

Hi Joern,

There is an option when handling TTX files to use Compatibility mode. You can find this under Tools-Options and in Project Settings under the TRADOStag filetype.

The default option uses Smart Tag Pairing and this mode attempts to ensur
... See more
Hi Joern,

There is an option when handling TTX files to use Compatibility mode. You can find this under Tools-Options and in Project Settings under the TRADOStag filetype.

The default option uses Smart Tag Pairing and this mode attempts to ensure you always have opening and closing tags in Studio to support the semi-wysiwyg formatting available with this filetype. Sometimes, using this option can cause the back conversion of files to fail. Perhaps you can try preparing the TTX files again with this option checked to disable Smart Tag Pairing.

Can you confirm which version of Studio you are using?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Joern Wennerstroem
English to Danish
Trados Studio version Oct 17, 2010

Hello Paul,

I use Trados Studio 2009 SP1 - 9.1.1107.0

Joern Wennerstroem
English to Danish
Virtual machine, smart pairing Oct 17, 2010

Hello Paul,

I have checked the preparation of ttx-files happens with the Smart Pairing option checked (meaning Smart pairing does NOT happen)

Best,

Joern

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SP1 is two builds out of date Oct 17, 2010

Hi Joern,

SP1 is two service packs out of date so I think it would be worth you upgrading to the latest version before trying to troubleshoot this any further.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Failed to Create java Virtual Machine"

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »