https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/48984-trados_workbench_doesnt_recognize_anymore_multiterm_62.html

Trados Workbench doesn't recognize anymore Multiterm 6.2
Thread poster: Raffaella Magi McCann (X)
Raffaella Magi McCann (X)
Raffaella Magi McCann (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:37
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 7, 2006

Dear Collegues

I have got a problem which I hope someone of you can help to sort it out.

I had to move to a different location and to continue my work, I installed Trados and Multiterm in a different laptop (my normal one is not working properly and is under service). The installation went fine, workbench recognized my license key but when I tried to configure Multiterm (Translation Recognition Option) workebench doesn't show any multiterm option (mine should be Multite
... See more
Dear Collegues

I have got a problem which I hope someone of you can help to sort it out.

I had to move to a different location and to continue my work, I installed Trados and Multiterm in a different laptop (my normal one is not working properly and is under service). The installation went fine, workbench recognized my license key but when I tried to configure Multiterm (Translation Recognition Option) workebench doesn't show any multiterm option (mine should be Multiterm iX) and if I click on local termbase, the program shuts down with a messegge error.

Please can anyone help me with this matter? I know I can work without multiterm, but for this project I need my glossary....:((.

A great thank in advance!!!

Raffaella
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:37
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Can you use MultiTerm standalone? Jun 7, 2006

i.e. without TWB? Can you open/close Termbases? The termbase you need?

Regards

Vito

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vito: Yes, I can open the glossary in the Multiterm program Jun 7, 2006

but in the Translation Recognition Option no Multiterm program can be selected...:(

any idea of why workbench is playing up this way?

many thanks indeed

Raffaella

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Grasping for straws Jun 7, 2006

In the Term Recognition options you need to tell whether its a 5 or a 7 version of MultiTerm.

And if it is a 5.x Version, well, why not install 7 anyhow...

regards

Vito

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Vito, I tried that before but... Jun 7, 2006

...when I click on *browse*in the Translation Recognition Option, workbench shows an error messegge and shuts down....I really don't understand...but really thank you so much for your help...:)

Raffaella

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
you will probably need a patch Jun 11, 2006

Raffaella Magi McCann wrote:

...when I click on *browse*in the Translation Recognition Option, workbench shows an error messegge and shuts down....I really don't understand...but really thank you so much for your help...:)

Raffaella

I remember having exactely this problem a year ago and, after a long research and exchanges with Trados support, I managed to find a patch on trados site. It was a "known problem", believe it or not.

However I would advise against using MT iX - it does not work well with Workbench. I am actually trying to go back to MT5, but Trados seems to bar me from doing this!

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Luca: I thought it could be something like that.... Jun 11, 2006

....but luckely I have got back my old laptop so I sorted (if you can say that) the problem. But for sure I will try to find this patch so that in emergency cases (if both laptop and desktop crash....Oooooooooooooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I can use my husbund laptop (which is where I found this error messegge of Trados).

Anyway the weird thing is that both laptopos run on the same system (windows xp) but just one laptop showed this fault!!

I agree with you...Multiterm iX is a com
... See more
....but luckely I have got back my old laptop so I sorted (if you can say that) the problem. But for sure I will try to find this patch so that in emergency cases (if both laptop and desktop crash....Oooooooooooooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I can use my husbund laptop (which is where I found this error messegge of Trados).

Anyway the weird thing is that both laptopos run on the same system (windows xp) but just one laptop showed this fault!!

I agree with you...Multiterm iX is a complete disaster...using it made working with workbench an experience of the hell!!!!

Millions of thanks for your kindness and help!! :>

Raffaella
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No general problems with MTiX Jun 11, 2006

Hi Raffaella and Luca,
I don't doubt your problems, but at the same time I would like to avoid overgeneralisation - I have been using MTiX for several years, without problems.

Have you checked the Microsoft .NET framework installed on your PC? Many MTiX-related problems reported in this forum were caused by the wrong .NET framework being installed.

Best regards,
Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ralf, sorry for my late reply.... Jun 13, 2006

...but I was away!

I don't doubt your problems, but at the same time I would like to avoid overgeneralisation - I have been using MTiX for several years, without problems.

I didn't mean to generalise but I do have several problems with MTix and..I have to say...because I don't consider myself a beginner in the use of Trados & MT, it's more frustrating when you struggle to find the solution.

Have you checked the Microsoft .NET framework installed on your P
... See more
...but I was away!

I didn't mean to generalise but I do have several problems with MTix and..I have to say...because I don't consider myself a beginner in the use of Trados & MT, it's more frustrating when you struggle to find the solution.

Have you checked the Microsoft .NET framework installed on your PC? Many MTiX-related problems reported in this forum were caused by the wrong .NET framework being installed.

I didn't think this could be the problem. When I downloaded the programs, I followed the on screen instructions (including the automatic downloading of Microsoft.Net Framework). How should I set properly this software? Any suggestions?

Thanks very much for your help and for the support you give to all other collegues (I read with much interest many of the forums with your suggestions!)

Cheers!

Raffaella
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which .NET version is installed on your PC? Jun 14, 2006

Hi Raffaella,

Sure.

I didn't think this could be the problem. When I downloaded the programs, I followed the on screen instructions (including the automatic downloading of Microsoft.Net Framework).

Which should be ok - some people abort the installation.

How should I set properly this software? Any suggestions?

Which version is installed on your PC? Which version of Java runtime is installed?

Best, Ralf

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It appears I have got two versions installed... Jun 14, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Raffaella,

Sure.

I didn't think this could be the problem. When I downloaded the programs, I followed the on screen instructions (including the automatic downloading of Microsoft.Net Framework).

Which should be ok - some people abort the installation.

How should I set properly this software? Any suggestions?

Which version is installed on your PC? Which version of Java runtime is installed?

first version is : 1.1
second version is: (English) 1.0.3705
Java 2 Runtime , SE 1.4.2_03

Many thanks indeed!!

Raffaella

Best, Ralf

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Uninstall-Install-Uninstall-Install Jun 14, 2006

I have had this kind of problems.

After uninstalling all Trados related software and Multiterm (remember backup of Multiterm glossaries!), and reinstallation the problems should disappear, but you will need to remove all programs first, not just Trados or Multiterm. Reboot your system, and reinstall.

It might seem strange, but this worked for me. But not the first time...I had to reinstall the package twice to get things back to normal.

Good luck.

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ivan!! Jun 18, 2006

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

I have had this kind of problems.

After uninstalling all Trados related software and Multiterm (remember backup of Multiterm glossaries!), and reinstallation the problems should disappear, but you will need to remove all programs first, not just Trados or Multiterm. Reboot your system, and reinstall.

It might seem strange, but this worked for me. But not the first time...I had to reinstall the package twice to get things back to normal.

Good luck.

It worked!! I unistalled all softwares related (all Microsoft package)...and finaly it was all back to normal!

Thank you sooooooooo muchhhhhhhh!!

Raffaella

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Workbench doesn't recognize anymore Multiterm 6.2

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »