Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 05:46
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 15, 2006

I used PlusToyz to port target files from STAR and do everything I needed (44 files) in TRADOS.

Now I'm back and everything is dandy, except that PlusToyz (or TRADOS, or most probably both) burped on the last segment and added a {something} tag into it.

How do I excise it?

Thanks a mil in advance!

Here's the offending tag on the right - the "{f}"

How do I delete it?

And/or how do I copy the original into the target (there's no change to this segment anyhow)

[Edited at 2006-06-15 14:33]

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
In Wordpad Jun 15, 2006

Or any other similar editor. Make sure to back up your files beforehand.
Even with Transit you can insert extra segmentation marks inadvertently, and if you do not undo it immediately but save the file, you cannot remove it within Transit (at least in the Satellite and Smart versions). In that case you can reopen the file with Wordpad as text only and remove it by hand.
In its statistics Transit may indicate that you created some segments but that's all - the file is OK.

... See more
Or any other similar editor. Make sure to back up your files beforehand.
Even with Transit you can insert extra segmentation marks inadvertently, and if you do not undo it immediately but save the file, you cannot remove it within Transit (at least in the Satellite and Smart versions). In that case you can reopen the file with Wordpad as text only and remove it by hand.
In its statistics Transit may indicate that you created some segments but that's all - the file is OK.

Cheers,
Attila
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
that's what I did ... Jun 15, 2006

thanks - but it is a shame... No way to change tags - who do they think they are kidding??

The files - they are

(packed into PXF
(rubberstamped to *.XXX STAR files
(STF converted
(Excel files
))))

This is insane... reminds one of LISP - except I'd vote for artificial stupidity, not intelligence, in this case...

still - I'll resport to a
... See more
thanks - but it is a shame... No way to change tags - who do they think they are kidding??

The files - they are

(packed into PXF
(rubberstamped to *.XXX STAR files
(STF converted
(Excel files
))))

This is insane... reminds one of LISP - except I'd vote for artificial stupidity, not intelligence, in this case...

still - I'll resport to a simpler question: how do I reset the translation to the original? Alt - Ctrl - Backspace does not do it...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try the view menu and switch document protection off Jun 15, 2006

In this way you can edit TAGs.
You could also place a letter before and behind the TAG, then mark both letters with the TAG in between and try to OVERWRITE it with something, what you can delete afterwards. This is a foolish program.

Best
Jerzy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
It may be different in Satellite, but it works in Pro Jun 15, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

still - I'll resport to a simpler question: how do I reset the translation to the original? Alt - Ctrl - Backspace does not do it...

In Transit XV Professional version, I go Edit - Segment Status - Not translated

When I choose that option, it asks me whether I want to restore the original.

The tag protection can be switched off going View - Display/Hide Attributes, checking "Deactivate tag protection"

I do not know if these features work in Satellite, though.

HTH

Antonin

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
If you guys need any help with TRADOS <-> STAR Jun 15, 2006

drop me a note, will you ;P

0:15AM and I'm (well) done. Few observations:

i) STAR is close (but not 100%) to XML
ii) get yourself a Wordfast sidekick and you end up with a major spill - cost me an hour to get back the omitted tags.
iii) PlusToyz is just priceless, but...
iv) ... isn't that just an old-fashioned "let's-do-it -with-Word" XLST paradigm!?

Regards and I'm getting a bottle of Silvaner...

regards

... See more
drop me a note, will you ;P

0:15AM and I'm (well) done. Few observations:

i) STAR is close (but not 100%) to XML
ii) get yourself a Wordfast sidekick and you end up with a major spill - cost me an hour to get back the omitted tags.
iii) PlusToyz is just priceless, but...
iv) ... isn't that just an old-fashioned "let's-do-it -with-Word" XLST paradigm!?

Regards and I'm getting a bottle of Silvaner...

regards

Vito
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

shuffling between TRADOS and STAR - need your help

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »