Thread poster: Riccardo Schiaffino

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 15, 2006

If you have suffered the "skipped segment" bug in recent versions of Trados (where you open a segment in a table, translate it, then if you click either "Translate to Fuzzy" or "Set/Close Next Open/Get" Trados skips to segments much further down the table or outside the tables altogether), I found a decent workaround: use tag Editor to translate the MS Word file.

For further details on this bug, please see this article: http://aboutranslation.blogspot.com/2006/06/serious-bug-in-trados.html

[Edited at 2006-06-15 18:22]

[Edited at 2006-06-15 18:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:53
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
that bug drove me crazy last year! Jun 15, 2006

Thanks Riccardo! And good timing:

That bug was driving me crazy throughout a long project, about this time last yr... And there will soon be an update of that same project, so your artcile will come in handy!

Thanks!
Roberta

xxxTrans Secret
English to Arabic
Do it manually and be patient Jun 15, 2006

Good morning

This reminds me with DTP where you MUST have more efforts to do the job. Software does not always carry out the job for you. We need to be patient as this is the nature and reality of the translation work.

Yours
Trans Secrets

United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What's the point? Jun 15, 2006

Trans Secrets wrote:

Good morning

This reminds me with DTP where you MUST have more efforts to do the job. Software does not always carry out the job for you. We need to be patient as this is the nature and reality of the translation work.

Yours
Trans Secrets

Trados is supposed to speed up translation work... and this particular problem was not present before version 6.5. It's a clear bug, probably due to sloppy work by Trados' programmers.

SDL should correct the problem and issue a free patch for it.

United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update (bad news for users of version 6.5) Jun 15, 2006

I tested the issue also under 6.5. Unfortunately, while the issue is already present in version 6.5, my workaround is not feasible, as version 6.5 of Tag Editor was still unable to open MS Word files.

xxxTrans Secret
English to Arabic
Software problems Jun 16, 2006

Good morning

What I mean is that Software is known to carry out the job quickly but as you know there are certain exceptions that we face in all programmes. I mean we should deal with those minor exceptions but not when they are larger ones.

Thanks
Trans Secrets

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-06-16 16:06]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I think I had my first encounter with this bug today... Jun 18, 2006

where some columns just did not get addressed properly. I acted subconsciously (g) and converted the whole set of tables to text - to get the translation memory filled up, you do not need the final formatting polish.

Of course it's a workaround - but then you need to hunt the unsegmented segments only once - in the final version. Provided you do not forget to check for them - and possibly not using Analyse, because it probably backfires the same way.

Bringing up an interesting question: could it be that all the word counts are flawed, the higher the percentage of tables, the worse they get?...

Regards

Vito

PS: using 7.5.0

[Edited at 2006-06-18 20:14]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
My old workaround Jun 18, 2006

Go http://www.proz.com/topic/30151 and see. I never use the Word+Workbench option anymore, well, as far as I can avoid it, so I do not know (have not tested and will not try to test) if it will work for Trados 7.5, but due to the nature of my solution I do believe it will help.

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workaround for the "skipped segments" bug

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums