Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 17, 2006

I made the mistake of installing MT7 (or iX). It offers no advantage at all for working with WB by design.

Term Recognition works very erratically with MTiX, with all kind of errors, and it is capable of slowing down dramatically my translation speed.

Erorrs range from not displaying terms in the TR window, to freezing and closing WB, to displaying terms only in one language and refusing to respond to shortcuts etc. etc. etc. Playing around with term recognition settin
... See more
I made the mistake of installing MT7 (or iX). It offers no advantage at all for working with WB by design.

Term Recognition works very erratically with MTiX, with all kind of errors, and it is capable of slowing down dramatically my translation speed.

Erorrs range from not displaying terms in the TR window, to freezing and closing WB, to displaying terms only in one language and refusing to respond to shortcuts etc. etc. etc. Playing around with term recognition settings is just another big waste of time - as errors and problems keep resurfacing.

Moreover its import export features are incredibly complicated AND SLOW! I have waited about 20 minutes (conversion) +10 minutes (importing) for a 3000 words excel glossary that I could have imported in MT5 in 200 seconds (via a macro in Word). - And I am using a fairly new P4 1MB RAM pc.

Also, looking at the setup wizard, it seems impossible to go back from MT7 to MT5 without putting at risk the installation and setup of Trados 7. Now without Trados 7 I am just dead. So I am left with trowing MultiTerm in the Bin and working directly with excel (30% slower that MT5 for this project).

SDL Trados assistance has been silent for about 2 weeks.

I am amazed that nobody else is screaming about this. Am I the only person that fell in this trap?

Luca
(Running WB 7.1.0.719 (Build 719) and TagEditor 7.1.0.719 (Build 720) on Win XP SP2.

[Edited at 2006-06-17 23:08]
Collapse

spanruss
spanruss
United States
Local time: 19:16
Russian to English
+ ...
You're not alone Jun 17, 2006

I tried for months to get Trados support to figure out why I could not get a MT interface with Word. They eventually gave up, and advised me to learn to use TagEditor for my terminology needs, since it was the "wave of the future anyway", as they claimed. To this day, I have to use the concordance feature for looking up previous terminology used. Trados may have the market, but they will lose it if they can't make their product more reliable.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:16
Swedish to English
+ ...
[email protected] Jun 18, 2006

You say:
"it seems impossible to go back from MT7 to MT5 without putting at risk the installation and setup of Trados 7"

I suggest joining [email protected]

A couple of days ago there was a very interesting answer to someone with a very similar problem to yours. It seems that Multiterm and WB are entirely separate products, and you can indeed uninstall MT7 and install MT5 without affecting WB
... See more
You say:
"it seems impossible to go back from MT7 to MT5 without putting at risk the installation and setup of Trados 7"

I suggest joining [email protected]

A couple of days ago there was a very interesting answer to someone with a very similar problem to yours. It seems that Multiterm and WB are entirely separate products, and you can indeed uninstall MT7 and install MT5 without affecting WB. Makes sense to me.

For the record, I have WB7 and MT7 (not your 7.1) and the combination works excellently. But I am afraid I have no idea why mine works and yours doesn't.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 02:16
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Term Recognition works very erratically with MTiX Jun 18, 2006

MTiX??

I have been using TWB 7.x and MultiTerm 7.x since they were released and (well, if we forget some teething pains, OK) I never had a problem.

In TWB/Options/Term Recognition Options I have selected MultiTerm 7 and never had to look back.

Btw, I do not have MTiX available to select at all in that pulldown box (MultiTerm version). Try MultiTerm 7 there - just for kicks...

Regards

Vito

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:16
Italian to English
In memoriam
Nothing to scream about, in my experience Jun 18, 2006

Luca Tutino wrote:

Not true.

IMHO entering terms on the fly in MT7 - to pick a benefit at random - is a huge advantage.

Again, this is not my experience. My termbases work as well in MT7 as they did in MT5. The migration process, with its detaching and re-attaching of termbases, is a bit complicated but not unduly difficult.

I had a minor problem installing MTiX 7.5 but am currently running MTiX 7.0.2.237 with WB 7.5.0.756 with no problems whatsoever. As Peter says, you can run MT5 with WB7 if you want to.

Buon proseguimento,

Giles

[Edited at 2006-06-18 20:03]

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 19, 2006

...for all your replies. They helped quite a bit.

It seems that a few problems are related to my specific version of MTiX, 6.2.0.287 probalby a bit early. But I also realized (remembered) that I had my Toshiba locked to low CPU speed to avoid systematic overheating - and that must be a source of further problems.

Low processor speed is certainly the cause of overslow conversions/imports - I have now tried to run a conversion at full CPU speed (before the 15th minute C
... See more
...for all your replies. They helped quite a bit.

It seems that a few problems are related to my specific version of MTiX, 6.2.0.287 probalby a bit early. But I also realized (remembered) that I had my Toshiba locked to low CPU speed to avoid systematic overheating - and that must be a source of further problems.

Low processor speed is certainly the cause of overslow conversions/imports - I have now tried to run a conversion at full CPU speed (before the 15th minute CPU burnout) and it was reasonably maneageble.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 7 does not seem to work with WorkBench

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »