Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:38
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2006

For the last few days I have had to translate entirely by hand, because Word simply will not work with Trados any more. The problem appears not to be related to which TM I am using, nor related to which Multiterm termbase I am using, nor whether I am using any termbases or not.

After a few TUs, or even a single TU, suddenly a funny symbol appears inside the next target TU at the beginning (a zero and curly brackets inside two dashes), and Word closes down, and then starts up again w
... See more
For the last few days I have had to translate entirely by hand, because Word simply will not work with Trados any more. The problem appears not to be related to which TM I am using, nor related to which Multiterm termbase I am using, nor whether I am using any termbases or not.

After a few TUs, or even a single TU, suddenly a funny symbol appears inside the next target TU at the beginning (a zero and curly brackets inside two dashes), and Word closes down, and then starts up again with an earlier version of the document, according to when it was last saved. As it happens, I have not had any great long documents since this has been happening, but, if I did, I would not like to translate them any more without using Trados.

Word works very perfectly as long as Trados is not open.

Any suggestions?

Astrid
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Trados works with word Jun 19, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

After a few TUs, or even a single TU, suddenly a funny symbol appears inside the next target TU at the beginning (a zero and curly brackets inside two dashes), and Word closes down, and then starts up again with an earlier version of the document, according to when it was last saved. As it happens, I have not had any great long documents since this has been happening, but, if I did, I would not like to translate them any more without using Trados.

Any suggestions?

Astrid
you may need to replace the normal.dot, which is a global template´. I had similar trouble a few months back. See older postings. Best Brandis

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Does it happen with all Word files? Jun 19, 2006

... or just THE one fille? If it's just one file, then I would guess the file is shot and the hell breaks loose when TRADOS tries to handle it. I know that ---{}---- sign, comes up, during the processing of the segment - and if something interrupts it, well ...

Have you tried with Fix the document?

I'd revert to virginal original and pretranslate - assuming your TM is OK.

[Edited at 2006-06-19 18:21]

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What does the error code below mean, please? Jun 19, 2006

-{} -

I have just carried out a repair of the Office XP installation. It has not helped. I can only translate the very first TU. If I click the relevant Trados symbol to move down to the next TU, first there is a pause and then I get the message that Word has determined a problem, so will have to close down, and the question whether I want to send a problem report to Microsoft.

After that, the second TU opens up, with the above symbol inserted at the beginning of it.... See more
-{} -

I have just carried out a repair of the Office XP installation. It has not helped. I can only translate the very first TU. If I click the relevant Trados symbol to move down to the next TU, first there is a pause and then I get the message that Word has determined a problem, so will have to close down, and the question whether I want to send a problem report to Microsoft.

After that, the second TU opens up, with the above symbol inserted at the beginning of it.

Someone please help. I have a new Normal dot and have carried out a repair installation of Microsoft Office. By using the search facility, I cannot find a previous forum where this problem has been mentioned.

Astrid
Collapse

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 16:38
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
corrupted tm? Jun 19, 2006

I have a vague memory of fighting this problem a while ago. If I remember correctly, the culprit in my situation was a corrupted tm.

Try the same Word file with a different tm and see what happens.

The curly brackets, however, can show up for a number of reasons.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Curly brackets Jun 19, 2006

By using the search facility, I cannot find a previous forum where this problem has been mentioned.

Try searching the forums and the Trados knowledge base for "curly brackets". One of the threads:

http://www.proz.com/post/150864#150864

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm Jun 19, 2006

Hmmm, thanks for the link, Hynek. I have been most displeased with Multiterm recently, and the problem has actually been occurring since, with good reason, I created a termbase at the weekend with three languages instead of two. Of course, a termbase with three languages should not be possible, because the language direction has to be the same as that of the TM, to avoid problems. If there are three languages, then obviously there is a discrepancy here. However, Multiterm does provide a five-lan... See more
Hmmm, thanks for the link, Hynek. I have been most displeased with Multiterm recently, and the problem has actually been occurring since, with good reason, I created a termbase at the weekend with three languages instead of two. Of course, a termbase with three languages should not be possible, because the language direction has to be the same as that of the TM, to avoid problems. If there are three languages, then obviously there is a discrepancy here. However, Multiterm does provide a five-language template. Strange!

Astrid
Collapse

David Evans
David Evans  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
same problem Jun 21, 2006

Any suggestions?

Astrid

I'm having exactly the same problem. One day everything was fine, the next this problem started. I've reinstalled Trados + a patch, replaced the trados6.dot, tried different TMs but the problem persists. Fix Document allows you to continue but a few segments later it happens again.

David Evans

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I had a similar problem a while back - and again today Jun 22, 2006

Any suggestions?

Astrid

although the first time this happened, I also got the "no translation unit seems to be open" message at the bottom of the word document. Even if you don't get this message, you should take a look at my original posting at http://www.proz.com/topic/46205 as some of the help provided may solve your problem (Ramon's advice in particular).

I remember contacting the Trados/SDL team who took 2 weeks to respond - only to ask more questions (and were of no assistance whatsoever)...

Yesterday, the same curly brackets (but no message this time) started appearing in the target segment - and each time Word crashes and restores the document. But his time, it was only happening with a specific document.

It took me a while to work it out, but it turns out that the original document was in rtf format - so I simply copied the text onto a Word document and now it's fine.

I hope you manage to work out what's wrong and that my link is of some use to you.

Good luck!

Ivana

David Evans
David Evans  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
None of the proposed solutions seem to work in this case Jun 22, 2006

I hope you manage to work out what's wrong and that my link is of some use to you.

Good luck!

Ivana [/quote]

I've tried a lot of the proposed solutions but to no avail:

1. Restoring both the normal.dot and trados6.dot files.
2. Using a different TM
3. Eliminating all the doc.files created with the recovery of the document every time Word crashes.
4. Checking with hidden text that the symbols are all in place (they are)
... See more

Good luck!

Ivana [/quote]

1. Restoring both the normal.dot and trados6.dot files.
2. Using a different TM
3. Eliminating all the doc.files created with the recovery of the document every time Word crashes.
4. Checking with hidden text that the symbols are all in place (they are)
5. Pre-translating a new version of the same document (same thing happens)
6. Saving the document in RTF
7. Reinstalling Trados
8. Downloading patch 6.5.441 (I have build 438/439)

This is happening to me in even the most simple documents. I've got Norton Internet Security; it finds nothing wrong, and a UPS device to protect the operating system.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The rtf format Jun 22, 2006

Hi Ivana,

Thanks for your detailed information. In particular, thank you for raising the issue of the rtf format. I now remember that I have had problems before because I was sent a document in rtf format instead of .doc format, and I have a feeling this might have been the problem here, since the next document after it worked fine and no errors occurred.

Astrid

Ivana UK
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
David Jun 22, 2006

David Evans wrote:

I never was entirely sure exactly what resolved the problem for me - whether it was putting the document through Wordfast (which I very much doubt) or whether it was following just a few of Ramon' instructions....

One of his instructions was to go to Tools , Options and check "view hidden files". Seems trivial, I know but as I always work with hidden files showing, I unchecked the box (just in case), applied, then went back in and checked the box and lo and behold all my docs worked fine after that ....!!

I know it seems almost impossible but it worked for me so if you're really stuck it's worth a try!

Ivana

Ivana UK
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
David, Jun 22, 2006

David Evans wrote:

6. Saving the document in RTF

Hi again,

I have rados 7 (build 615) and just found out that rtf files actually cause the problem and should be converted to .doc format before putting through Trados ...

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got to the bottom of it Jun 24, 2006

I get this curly brackets error every time I have opted to extend the previous segment. It's a nuisance, though, not to have the option to use that function.

Astrid

Ivana UK
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm getting the same curly brackets on another document now Jun 26, 2006

I get this curly brackets error every time I have opted to extend the previous segment. It's a nuisance, though, not to have the option to use that function.

Astrid

.. well on part of a document, which is bulleted.

There seem to be more and more people getting this error. I'm beginning to think there's a serious fault with Trados - it's happening to too many people and the reasons for it happening aren't always clear.

Under another similar post, someone mentioned that a recent Microsoft update is not compatible with Trados (update of 16 June 2006) and could cause this problem. I checked and I don't have that update - so can't be that either!!!

I've found that I'm able to get round the problem by fixing the document immediately after it's recovered as it then closes the segment and I can go on th the next. However, when doing this, the document then has to be cleaned manually (with the macro) as Trados "throws an exception" and deletes the file....

Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this eventually!

[Edited at 2006-06-26 01:20]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word will not work with Trados any more

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »