Mobile menu

How do you create a pre-segmented unclean Trados file that recognizes drop-down fields?
Thread poster: Conroy Fritz

Conroy Fritz  Identity Verified
Paraguay
Local time: 01:11
Member (2004)
German to English
Jun 19, 2006

Hi,

A colleague of mine has a Word doc that needs to be translated, but his Deja Vu application does not recognize the drop-down form fields contained within. He asked me if I could supply him with a pre-segmented unclean Trados file of the Word doc in question that would also recognize the drop-down fields in hopes that Deja Vu will be able to recognize everything. I've never pre-segmented a file in Trados before and have not been successful in finding the answer in the Trados help files. I use Trados 6.5. Would anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

~Conroy

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 07:11
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
quite exotic ... Jun 20, 2006

I would try to export DOC file to RTF, TXT , XML to see if the conversion uncovers the entries.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Jun 20, 2006

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDL and/or Trados.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Can Trados really cope with that? Jun 20, 2006

I have had problems with dropdown fields in Word several times before - I have never found a way to translate them in an automatic way. I would be really interested in learning this "how to"

Antonin

[Edited at 2006-06-20 05:47]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Huh, Ralf!... Jun 20, 2006

... so that's where my first answer was. You'll notice the repeat thread somewhere on the list.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Impossible, AFAIK Jun 20, 2006

To my best of knowledge, this is certainly impossible using the legacy workflow with pre-segmentation and/or translation in Word and probably even impossible with the new TagEditor TTX workflow.

He'll just have to double-click on the fields after translation and edit the contents in the corresponding dialog box.

Regards,
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you create a pre-segmented unclean Trados file that recognizes drop-down fields?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs