Thread poster: Kerstin Roland
Kerstin Roland
Kerstin Roland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
Member (2003)
German to English
Jun 24, 2006

I bought the new Trados Freelance 7 beginning of the year and have been working with it relatively successfully. I'm usually able to locate answers to any problems I encounter.
I just ran into a problem, however, that I had no hits for.

I received a couple of Word files that appear relatively similar for a change. I have translated the first one successfully with Trados. Today I tried to use it on the other files and it is working with neither. All I get when I click the "ope
... See more
I bought the new Trados Freelance 7 beginning of the year and have been working with it relatively successfully. I'm usually able to locate answers to any problems I encounter.
I just ran into a problem, however, that I had no hits for.

I received a couple of Word files that appear relatively similar for a change. I have translated the first one successfully with Trados. Today I tried to use it on the other files and it is working with neither. All I get when I click the "open/get" icon is this: -{}-.
I have unclicked the "hidden text" box, to no avail.

I did notice however that some functions seem to be blocked, such as the track changes function, and the "field codes" box in options/view is checked, but grayed out.

Any suggestions on how I can get Trados to work? I am using Word 2000.

Thank you in advance for any input!
Kerstin
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:06
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Jun 24, 2006

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDL and/or Trados.

Can you please indicate which version you're using (full version number including the 'build number', please - go to Help - About... to find out)?

There are several possible causes, and several potential workarounds/solutions. You may want to search this forum (as well as the TW_users forum on Yahoogroups) for "curly brackets".

Best regards,
Ral
... See more
...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDL and/or Trados.

Can you please indicate which version you're using (full version number including the 'build number', please - go to Help - About... to find out)?

There are several possible causes, and several potential workarounds/solutions. You may want to search this forum (as well as the TW_users forum on Yahoogroups) for "curly brackets".

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Kerstin Roland
United States
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Version Info Jun 24, 2006

Thank you your reply, Ralf.
The information is:
Windows XP Home Edition
5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Thank you also for the other information. I'll look around there.

Kind regards,
Kerstin

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
*Trados* version Jun 24, 2006

Hi again,
Kerstin Roland wrote:

Thank you your reply, Ralf.
The information is:
Windows XP Home Edition
5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

I was looking for your Trados version, actually...

Best, Ralf

Kerstin Roland
United States
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Version Info Jun 24, 2006

The Trados info is:
SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 7.1.0.719 - (Build 719)

Sorry for the earlier omission!

Kind regards,
Kerstin

Kerstin Roland
United States
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to Problem found? Jun 24, 2006

I believe by going through the "curly brackets" links I have found the answer to my problem and I just confirmed it on the documents. The first one seems to have been unprotected, while the others are password protected.

Looks like I have to do them the only-fashioned way - typing - since they are due on Monday.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,
Kerstin

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Or try SDLX :) Jun 26, 2006

Kerstin Roland wrote:

I believe by going through the "curly brackets" links I have found the answer to my problem and I just confirmed it on the documents. The first one seems to have been unprotected, while the others are password protected.

Looks like I have to do them the only-fashioned way - typing - since they are due on Monday.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,
Kerstin

Or try the SDLX part of the SDL suite. No curly brackets there. Password protection of a DOC can be removed by opening it and saving again as DOC with OpenOffice Writer.

Piotr

Kerstin Roland
United States
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Other Options Jun 26, 2006

Thank you very much for the additional options, Piotr.
I'll definitely try them so that I'm prepared for next time.

I have not had the time to look into SDLX yet but have been hearing that it is more user-friendly.

It also looks like OpenOffice Writer has some other benefits I can use (creating PDFs etc.) so I'll explore this route as well.

Kind regards,
Kerstin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados not working: -{}-

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »