SDL Trado$ Certification
Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:13
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jun 26, 2006

Agency: Are you a native speaker of (...)?
Translator: Yes
Agency: Your experience?
Translator: 15+ years
Agency: Do you use CAT Tools?
Translator: Yes (a. Trados b. ... c. ...)
Agency: Are you certified?
Translator: Yes, I will send you copies of my certificates, diplomas, etc.
Agency: Sorry, but you are not a qualified translator. You must be SDL Trado$ certified!
Translator: ?!

It is apparent that the SDL people are good at marketing. They can sell anything. They can even sell a book on CURLY BRACKETS (not published yet). You may read hundreds of pages without finding any solution. And then you may receive an e-mail from the SDL marketing people saying "as a buyer of our book on Curly Brackets you are entitled to a discount of ..% for the new version of SDL Trados XXX"

No, thanks. I don't need to be certified buy SDL Trados, but recommend them to employ experienced programmers to solve that curly brackets problem.

[Edited at 2006-06-26 20:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 19:13
German to English
Don't forget the sequel... Jun 26, 2006

"The Curly Bracket and the Case of the Mark for Ending a Translation Unit is Missing or Damaged"

and dare I mention the third title in the trilogy?

"Return of the Invalid RTF Reference"

But pity the poor Trados employees - they're all cannon fodder now, and their product will ultimately be folded into the SDL suite or phased out entirely, so they certainly can't be very motivated at this time...

[Edited at 2006-06-26 22:25]

María Perales  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDL Trados.... Jun 27, 2006

I have another story with SDL:ages ago I send them my Resumé in order to receive the translation proofs to enter the freelancer's data base...I never got the texts...but almost every week I receive publicity of several things...among those, SDL Trados.

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Buy a new car: upgrade your driving licence! Jun 27, 2006

I really do not see why I should be a certified user of a tool. What I do not understand either, is that I would have to renew my certification (sit another exam?) every time a new version is available, which is of course every year.
So if I bought a new car, with cruise control and all kinds of fancy buttons, would I have to take my driving test again?

CAT tools are just that: they are tools, and a professional translator should know how to use his/her tools to achieve a goal: a good translation.

If I am a whizz with a chainsaw that doesn't mean I am a good lumberjack, I might just be the chainsaw killer....

Happy translating!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trado$ Certification

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs