Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 17:49
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jun 26, 2006

Agency: Are you a native speaker of (...)?
Translator: Yes
Agency: Your experience?
Translator: 15+ years
Agency: Do you use CAT Tools?
Translator: Yes (a. Trados b. ... c. ...)
Agency: Are you certified?
Translator: Yes, I will send you copies of my certificates, diplomas, etc.
Agency: Sorry, but you are not a qualified translator. You must be SDL Trado$ certified!
Translator: ?!

It is apparent that the SDL people are good at marketing. They can sell anything. They can even sell a book on CURLY BRACKETS (not published yet). You may read hundreds of pages without finding any solution. And then you may receive an e-mail from the SDL marketing people saying "as a buyer of our book on Curly Brackets you are entitled to a discount of ..% for the new version of SDL Trados XXX"

No, thanks. I don't need to be certified buy SDL Trados, but recommend them to employ experienced programmers to solve that curly brackets problem.

[Edited at 2006-06-26 20:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

HarryHedgehog
Germany
Local time: 16:49
German to English
Don't forget the sequel... Jun 26, 2006

"The Curly Bracket and the Case of the Mark for Ending a Translation Unit is Missing or Damaged"

and dare I mention the third title in the trilogy?

"Return of the Invalid RTF Reference"

But pity the poor Trados employees - they're all cannon fodder now, and their product will ultimately be folded into the SDL suite or phased out entirely, so they certainly can't be very motivated at this time...

[Edited at 2006-06-26 22:25]

María Perales  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDL Trados.... Jun 27, 2006

I have another story with SDL:ages ago I send them my Resumé in order to receive the translation proofs to enter the freelancer's data base...I never got the texts...but almost every week I receive publicity of several things...among those, SDL Trados.

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Buy a new car: upgrade your driving licence! Jun 27, 2006

I really do not see why I should be a certified user of a tool. What I do not understand either, is that I would have to renew my certification (sit another exam?) every time a new version is available, which is of course every year.
So if I bought a new car, with cruise control and all kinds of fancy buttons, would I have to take my driving test again?

CAT tools are just that: they are tools, and a professional translator should know how to use his/her tools to achieve a goal: a good translation.

If I am a whizz with a chainsaw that doesn't mean I am a good lumberjack, I might just be the chainsaw killer....

Happy translating!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trado$ Certification

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs