Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch
Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:32
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
Jun 27, 2006

In the newest version, Workbench seems to support Syriac even as a source language, but obviously, there are a lot of problems left (formatting, punctuation, does not work with Tag Editor etc.). The problem cannot be the right-to-left support, because I tried with Arabic, too, and everything worked fine.

Before I describe the problems in detail, I would like to know whether there is anybody working with translations from Syriac to other languages. Is there?

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 23:32
English to Arabic
+ ...
Syriac & Aramaic Jun 27, 2006

Greetings.

Re your query on < proz.com >.

Although I do not work in Syriac, I know of a very, very few Syriac/Aramaic/Assyrian translators in the Iraqi Christian communities up in central California. Most of their translation work is for local media which service those readerships, and they do not seem to be very active online practitioners.

I understand that most of their work is from English into Syriac / Aramaic, and word-processed / DTPed with suitable
... See more
Greetings.

Re your query on < proz.com >.

Although I do not work in Syriac, I know of a very, very few Syriac/Aramaic/Assyrian translators in the Iraqi Christian communities up in central California. Most of their translation work is for local media which service those readerships, and they do not seem to be very active online practitioners.

I understand that most of their work is from English into Syriac / Aramaic, and word-processed / DTPed with suitable TTF fonts.

Please advise what are the specific technical problems you are encountering with into-Syriac production, and I can relay those points to them, along with your e-mail address so they can contact you directly.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H./ Franke
English Arabic,
Kurdish and Persian
San Pedro, CA (Los Angeles Harbor Area)

[Edited at 2006-06-27 18:11]
Collapse

Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch
Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:32
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Syriac Jun 28, 2006

Hi,

the most important problems are two:

Working with Word documents:
1. Trados seems not to recognize the specific syriac punctuation. E.g. when I try to translate Our Father in Heaven with cursor on the first word (abûn) and start translating, the segment beginning with wa-shvuq lan h.aubayn (and forgive us our trespasses...) is opend for translation.
2. Reformatting the text after translation: When I close the segment, all the text of the whole document
... See more
Hi,

the most important problems are two:

Working with Word documents:
1. Trados seems not to recognize the specific syriac punctuation. E.g. when I try to translate Our Father in Heaven with cursor on the first word (abûn) and start translating, the segment beginning with wa-shvuq lan h.aubayn (and forgive us our trespasses...) is opend for translation.
2. Reformatting the text after translation: When I close the segment, all the text of the whole document is automatically set to 12 pt, although it had been 24 pt before.

Working with Tag Editor:
3. In Tag Editor, the syriac text is not displayed properly. All characters are replaced with squares.

I am using Windows XP with Office 2003. The Syriac support for Win and Office (keyboard layout and open type fonts) was originally provided by Bethmardutho (www.bethmardutho.org). The direct cooperation between Bethmardutho and Microsoft has been going on for about six years now, and since 2002 when XP with its Syriac support integrated directly into the system and Office 2002 were released, everything else works quite perfectly.

Thanks for any hint!

Best regards,
Matthias
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Syriac

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »