Submitting "unclean" files
Thread poster: maryrose
maryrose
maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
English
+ ...
Jun 28, 2006

An agency I have just started to work for has asked me to provide my translations as "unclean files". I am assuming this means without having used the Trados "clean up" function. Why would they want this? Especially as I have found that, when I have accidentally sent a non-cleaned up file by email, it arrives with all the source language and tags visible.

Anyone know why "unclean" is helpful?

Thanks!

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:34
Italian to English
+ ...
unclean files Jun 28, 2006

Hi maryrose,
If you submit unclean files the agency/client will be able to create a TM from them, which is to their advantage. They can always create a translation memory from the original and your cleaned-up translation by aligning the files, but that involves hassle on their part and it's easier just to get the translator to send the unclean version. They won't send the unclean file to the client like that - they'll clean it up first.
Just make sure they don't make you lower your p
... See more
Hi maryrose,
If you submit unclean files the agency/client will be able to create a TM from them, which is to their advantage. They can always create a translation memory from the original and your cleaned-up translation by aligning the files, but that involves hassle on their part and it's easier just to get the translator to send the unclean version. They won't send the unclean file to the client like that - they'll clean it up first.
Just make sure they don't make you lower your prices in future for fuzzy matches - you created the TM after all!

Best,
Amy

[Edited at 2006-06-28 08:20]
Collapse

maryrose
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Jun 28, 2006

Ahhh! Now I see. Thanks a lot for that Amy, I'm really a subsistence level Trados uer.

Thanks also for the tip about lower prices for fuzzy matches. I've heard that some agencies try that on.

Cheers!

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:34
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Another point... Jun 28, 2006

maryrose wrote:

Anyone know why "unclean" is helpful?

...is that it makes things much much much easier for the editor.

Florence

maryrose
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why? Jun 28, 2006

Sorry, told you I was ignorant, why is that?

mr

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:34
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Checking Jun 28, 2006

maryrose wrote:

Sorry, told you I was ignorant, why is that?

mr

Because you don't have to print two copies and read both at the same time to check that nothing is missing or incorrect, the left eye on the source and the right eye on the target.

When I need to edit a "cleaned" text, most of the time I start with aligning both in order to get an "uncleaned" file again. This is just to make sure that I can catch 100% of the errors/discrepancies etc.

Florence

maryrose
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gotcha. Jun 28, 2006

Logical really! Thank you for your forbearing reply!

mr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Submitting "unclean" files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »