Trados 7.01 and Word 2002: error 2147417851
Thread poster: xxxBellod
Jun 28, 2006

Hello, everybody. I'm using Trados 7.1.0.719 (719) but I don't use Multiterm. I have a number of documents that closes when I try to open some determined segments, not all, working with Word 2002 (10.6.802.6735) SP3. And if I try to clean those files, a message error appears: The system threw an exception, -2147417851, and I cannot clean or translate the file. I tried with old TM, new TM, empty TM, and the result is always the same. And (may be not related, who knows), one of the documents uses Arial and Trados changes it automatically to Times New Roman, may be the styles of the document are wrong anywhere and that's all or part of the problem. For example, I have a phrase: "The TRIO TRIALS:". If its written with a hard returns, Word closes when I try to open this segment, but if I delete the hard return and I join it with de previous paragraph, I can translate this segment but I cannot clean the file (so, there must be some other problem). I see no codes, marks or something else. It's a very complicated document, with a big number of styles, graphs and so, but the same happens with other documents more simple.

I'm afraid I have some kind of incompatibility between Trados and Word and that such problem is "exclusive" of "my computer" and, so, it could be almost impossible for me to find it.

Thanks a lot for reading such a long message. Have a nice day. Paloma

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:02
English to German
+ ...
Same Problems due to latest Word Update from Microsoft Jun 28, 2006

Could it be that you downloaded the latest Microsoft-Update for word recently (KB917335). Quite a few users reported problems with that last week and the conclusion was to uninstall the download manually. To do this go to Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel and make sure you have "Show Updates" checked. You should then be able to find the relevant update in the list and uninstall that one update. Apparently, some users have made Microsoft aware of the problem and there might soon be a new update. But for the time being I have deactivated the option of automatically donwloading updates to make sure I do not get it again until Microsoft have fixed the problem.

The problem of changing fonts in connection with Trados is however not connected to this problem. This has also been discussed extensively in the forum. You can bypass the problem by reinstating the original fonts after cleanup. To do that simply highlight the whole text ("Select All") and then press Controll + Blank Key.

Hope it helps

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TagEditor Jun 28, 2006

Hola Paloma,

It sounds as if your problem is indeed related to the styles in your source document, if this Trados Knowledge Base article is anything to go by:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1090

Perhaps someone else will be able to enlighten us further, though.

These days, when I am faced with heavily formatted Word documents, I reach for TagEditor, which in version 7 handles Word very well and maintains the formatting better than WB. A quick glance at the PDF manual (FileFormatsRef_en.pdf) in the Doc folder of the program files will tell you what to do, if you're not sure.

Try it!

Suerte,

Giles

xxxBellod
TOPIC STARTER
Word is the problem Jun 28, 2006

Ciao, Giles, I must agree with you, Word is the problem, How couldn't it? Now I cannot open another files of Word derived from the original file. I am not using Trados and the other document was done with Word only. So, although Word is updated and revised and bla, bla, bla, there is something corrupted in it that it cannot work with. I'll try to use another Word (its like the small stickers we builded up years ago: Word 95, Word 97, Word 2000, Word XP, Word 2003...) I'll maintain you informed. Thanks again. Paloma

xxxBellod
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor Jun 28, 2006

And, with respect to TagEditor, I cannot open it: It thinks the Word document has changes, but it's not true. Another problem. Paloma

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Tracked changes? Jun 28, 2006

Hi again Paloma,

Pages 200 and 201 of the PDF I mentioned explain the various steps you might need to take to prepare the Word document.

One step concerns "Tracked Changes".
>
Tracked changes must not be present in the Word documents to be translated with TagEditor. If your Word documents contain tracked changes, TagEditor displays a warning message. Consult the originator of the document about accepting or rejecting revision marks. Then, deactivate the feature in each Word document before translating it.
>
BTW the manual suggests you do this on a copy of your original document.

Hasta lueguito,

Giles

[Edited at 2006-06-28 14:59]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"word is a problem" Jun 28, 2006

A practical suggestion: I have a 7.x TRADOS and 2003 word and you can send me the bilingual files to see if 2002 vs 2003 makes any difference.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Identical problem Jun 28, 2006

I had the identical problem, with that awful -2147417851 error, among other things, a few days ago. Every few TUs I could not move on to the next TU, then Word reported an error and closed down.

What happened next was that I searched for and read some old threads about similar problems. As a result, I concluded that I should use TagEditor instead. The document was 3,500 words. Anyway, TagEditor was not at all pleasant to use - awful on the eyes! And I realised it was just like that horrid CAT tool that an agency asked me to use once - Transit Satellite PE. I suffered it for the whole 3,500 words, without any error messages.

When I came to clean up that document, I read in the manual that there were two ways of cleaning up a document in TagEditor. I tried the one that is usual with Workbench. There was some kind of error. No target document was produced! I then tried the other, simpler method, that would "just simply remove the tags", and - guess what - it would not clean up that way either. I think it was then that I got that awful number quoted above.

I tried retranslating the document in Workbench, clicking on the symbol to make it run through the document of its own accord. It stopped after 5 or 6 TUs: there was nothing else in the TM!

Since the client was waiting patiently for the translation, I then had to copy and paste all the tiny little bits from between the tags out of TagEditor into a fresh Word document. I did it at high speed and it took exactly an hour!

Moral of the story: If you ever have problems when translating with Workbench, don't EVER try using TagEditor instead - NOT EVER! If you do, you will have much worse problems!

Astrid

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
On cleaning ttx files Jun 28, 2006

I have a problem with a TagEditor too - it's the latest version , should be OK, but it burps some strange messages at me and what I specially dislike - it does not want to verify, i.e. if I kept original tags comme il faut.

Guess what - it's not the tag editor. Im sure that it's the missing original file. Let me explain: other than a bilingual doc file, the ttx filec is just a part of the story, The bilingual story is complete for TagEditor, when / only if you keep ttx together with the original doc, rtf, inx, stf (whatever) source file in the same subdirectory.

Side effent #1, if you dont do that: you cant clean your ttx. So make sure you keep the original sourge-language file in the same subdirectory.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-06-28 23:12]

xxxBellod
TOPIC STARTER
Solved, but not really Jun 28, 2006

Hello, everybody, for your suggestions. As I have lost four beatifull working days (and when preparing holidays!) I've given up, uninstalled Word 2002 and tried with Word 2003, everything was perfect, even wonderful. The best thing I can say is "Muerto el perro, se acabó la rabia". But it's only a pause, I'm sure and the error will come back, it's hidden in the dark waiting to ruin all of us. May be the begining of Scary Moovie 5.
Have a nice holidays. Paloma

Simon Boyden  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:02
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Solution a bit late in the day Jan 4, 2007

...but hey, better late than never, and maybe someone else will experience the same problem in future.

I had this problem last week, and found the following solution on the SDL website:

The error is caused by the recent security patch from Microsoft. The patch, which is installed in automatic Windows/Office update, changed the Rich Text Format (RTF) communication layer that in turn affected communication between Word and Translator's Workbench. The patch is documented in this Microsoft article.

Two solutions are available.
1. Install attached patch according to the instructions in the TXT file.

2. Disable Smart Tags in Word document before executing batch processes.
- open the document in Word
- go to "Tools" - "AutoCorrect Options..." - "Smart Tags" tab
- uncheck "Label tags with smart tags" box
- click on the "Remove Smart Tags" button
- save the document
- after completing batch process you can re-enable smart tags, and restore them by clicking on the "Check Document" button.

http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1909&p_created=1156542211&p_sid=LgQ*ERqi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjYmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2NmX0xhbmd1YWdlPSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWV4Y2VwdGlvbg**&p_li=&p_topview=1

I downloaded the TradosRTF.zip file, opened it, followed the instructions in the TXT file and hey presto, it worked first time!

Robert Schlarb  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Just ran into this problem today Mar 15, 2007

with Trados 7.5 and Word 2002/XP.
Many thanks to Simon for pointing out the helpful note at the SDL support site.
After installing the patch as described, clean-up behaviour was normal.
Regards
Robert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7.01 and Word 2002: error 2147417851

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums