Mobile menu

Encoding problem in cleaned En-Ru *.TXT.TTX files
Thread poster: Aleksandr Okunev
Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 12:08
English to Russian
Jun 29, 2006

A client from Romania sent me a lot of bilingual EN-RU TTX Unicode files to clean, because when they cleaned them on their systems they got only question marks in the target language in the TM.

The TTX are some DTP TXT export (filename.txt.ttx) full of tags.

I cleaned the files with a few minor hiccups and the TM is fine. However, the cleaned TXT files have got question marks instead of the Russian text. Of course, the TTX look nicely in the Tag Editor!

I work in Wordfast and use Trados 6.5 only for conversion purposes. I've recently moved to a new computer. What setting have I forgot to make?

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Local time: 11:08
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
UTF-8 íssue? Jun 30, 2006

possibly the source is in the Western European code and then the target gets Western European coding as well etc.

Resaving everything in UTF8 first?

PS: I'd suggest you could just as well use TortoiseTagger to convert ... but then I thought better not;)

[Edited at 2006-06-30 07:43]

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 12:08
English to Russian
As usual I neglected the obvious. Jun 30, 2006

Thanks Vito, I will try what you suggest, this is the step I skipped (dunno why) and most likely the encoding got carried over to the resulting TXT files.
I will post my findings later on.
Stay well!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Encoding problem in cleaned En-Ru *.TXT.TTX files

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs