https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/50390-encoding_problem_in_cleaned_en_ru_%2Atxtttx_files.html

Encoding problem in cleaned En-Ru *.TXT.TTX files
Thread poster: Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 19:07
English to Russian
Jun 29, 2006

A client from Romania sent me a lot of bilingual EN-RU TTX Unicode files to clean, because when they cleaned them on their systems they got only question marks in the target language in the TM.

The TTX are some DTP TXT export (filename.txt.ttx) full of tags.

I cleaned the files with a few minor hiccups and the TM is fine. However, the cleaned TXT files have got question marks instead of the Russian text. Of course, the TTX look nicely in the Tag Editor!

I w
... See more
A client from Romania sent me a lot of bilingual EN-RU TTX Unicode files to clean, because when they cleaned them on their systems they got only question marks in the target language in the TM.

The TTX are some DTP TXT export (filename.txt.ttx) full of tags.

I cleaned the files with a few minor hiccups and the TM is fine. However, the cleaned TXT files have got question marks instead of the Russian text. Of course, the TTX look nicely in the Tag Editor!

I work in Wordfast and use Trados 6.5 only for conversion purposes. I've recently moved to a new computer. What setting have I forgot to make?

Thanks!
Aleksandr
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:07
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
UTF-8 íssue? Jun 30, 2006

possibly the source is in the Western European code and then the target gets Western European coding as well etc.

Resaving everything in UTF8 first?

Regards

Vito

PS: I'd suggest you could just as well use TortoiseTagger to convert ... but then I thought better not;)

[Edited at 2006-06-30 07:43]

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 19:07
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
As usual I neglected the obvious. Jun 30, 2006

Thanks Vito, I will try what you suggest, this is the step I skipped (dunno why) and most likely the encoding got carried over to the resulting TXT files.
I will post my findings later on.
Stay well!
Aleksandr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Encoding problem in cleaned En-Ru *.TXT.TTX files

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »