Thread poster: Rob Albon
Rob Albon
Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:06
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jul 1, 2006

I have a 10,000 word assignment with 120 comments in it. The comments all need to be translated.

I just finished a 2,000 word assignment fromt he same job that had 30 comments.

It was a major pain. I had to select each comment, copy, paste into another word document, translate that document, then put my own comments into the segements as I translated them and then paste the translated comments back in.

I shudder to think of how long it will take to do in th
... See more
I have a 10,000 word assignment with 120 comments in it. The comments all need to be translated.

I just finished a 2,000 word assignment fromt he same job that had 30 comments.

It was a major pain. I had to select each comment, copy, paste into another word document, translate that document, then put my own comments into the segements as I translated them and then paste the translated comments back in.

I shudder to think of how long it will take to do in the 10,000 word document.

Is there any way to do this systematically without having to click in each box and do something funky?

Thanks,
Rob Albon
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:06
Spanish to French
+ ...
tentative solution Jul 2, 2006

Rob,

I don't think you can translate them directly with TRADOS. Why don't you try this:

2x click any comment, which gives you access to all the comments in a footer-like display, and then copy them all at once on a blank page.

You will see the page number field before each comment but for the very reason it is a field, TRADOS should not open it.

So as not to include the [0] in you segment (this is the comment number which seems to revert to its
... See more
Rob,

I don't think you can translate them directly with TRADOS. Why don't you try this:

2x click any comment, which gives you access to all the comments in a footer-like display, and then copy them all at once on a blank page.

You will see the page number field before each comment but for the very reason it is a field, TRADOS should not open it.

So as not to include the [0] in you segment (this is the comment number which seems to revert to its original numbering once you copy it back to the original doc), do a batch replace of [0] with [0] applying tw4winExternal style (you should find it in your style list), which makes it untranstable.

Only the comments should open now. Translate all comments, clean and copy them all back into you original doc.

Quite a procedure indeed,
But I hope it helps!

Cheers
Collapse

Rob Albon
Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:06
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2x click only option Jul 2, 2006

nico95 wrote: 2x click any comment, which gives you access to all the comments in a footer-like display, and then copy them all at once on a blank page.

Thanks, Nico, 2x clicking in each comment was what I was trying to avoid, but I guess it is the only solution.

nico95 wrote: You will see the page number field before each comment but for the very reason it is a field, TRADOS should not open it.

So as not to include the [0] in you segment (this is the comment number which seems to revert to its original numbering once you copy it back to the original doc), do a batch replace of [0] with [0] applying tw4winExternal style (you should find it in your style list), which makes it untranstable.

I'm not exactly sure I understand you here, I have not had any problem like this.

However, batch replacing with tw4winExternal style is a great idea to keep in mind for other problems.

Thanks again for your help,
Rob Albon

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:06
Member (2003)
German to French
T-Windows for Clipboard Jul 2, 2006

Hi Rob,

I would give "T-Windows for Clipboard" a try. It's integrated in your Trados-SDL package, really easy to use and very handy for this kind of thing.
Just select the comment and press Ctrl+C, and your display toggles automatically to T-Windows. You translate it the normal way and press Alt+End, T-Windows saves your translation and it toggles back to MS-Word. There, you just have to press Ctrl+V and the translated and saved comment is pasted.

You don't have t
... See more
Hi Rob,

I would give "T-Windows for Clipboard" a try. It's integrated in your Trados-SDL package, really easy to use and very handy for this kind of thing.
Just select the comment and press Ctrl+C, and your display toggles automatically to T-Windows. You translate it the normal way and press Alt+End, T-Windows saves your translation and it toggles back to MS-Word. There, you just have to press Ctrl+V and the translated and saved comment is pasted.

You don't have to create a new document and to toggle the applications, it is all automated.

HTH,
Sylvain
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:06
Italian to English
In memoriam
TagEditor handles Word comments Jul 2, 2006

Hi Rob,

TagEditor handles complex Word documents, including comments, very well nowadays (see page 214 of the FileFormatsRef_en.pdf manual that comes with WB 7).

Make sure you read the workflow and document preparation suggestions in the manual if you have never used TagEditor before, though, because it is a little different from Workbench.

HTH

Giles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using TRADOS to translate Word comments

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »