As you will recall, on about June 26th I reported a problem in
getting download authorization and licensing for SDL Trados 2006 I

After several days of e-mails (most of which were answered only with
return receipts)I received an e-mail from Mr John Thompson of SDL
Trados in the UK, who is the new International Customer Support
manager, who happened to see my posting on the forum and was kind
enough to contact me.

By that time I was not very happy and John had to take the brunt of
several days of non-stop e-mails and customer-induced stress.

I remain unimpressed with the explanations I got from SDL Trados at
large but I must award kudos to John Thompson who was outstandingly
interested and right on top of things once he and I had a chat. He
saw to it that I received the download instructions/authorization in
about an hour and was able to download and install within the day.

I later got calls from John's associates to check up on how things
were going and John later gave me a courtesy call to find out how
things were going. THANKS JOHN!

The downside is that I am about a week behind on a very large project
and am catching hell for it.

SDL Trados contacted me but only after John had solved the problems
(at day 4) and the explanations they offered were far from credible
but their assurances were confirmatory of my own observations. My
most salient remark was: "If I made those kinds of quality mistakes
in those numbers with my customers, I'd be sweeping streets instead
of translating."

After all is said and done SDL Trados will have to come up with some
better excuses and fixes because too many little mistakes add up to a
company in the red.

Once again, hats off to John Thompson of SDL Trados, International
Customer Support (U.K.) for a difficult task well accomplished. SDL
Trados needs more people like him!

Almost satisfied,

Harold Vadney

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 15:14
+ ...
Glad it worked out for you. Jul 7, 2006

I wish I could say the same, but I still haven't received a single reply (not even a return receipt) regarding my inquiry about purchasing an upgrade to our Trados Team Pro license.

Not a peep - looks like they're not at all interested in selling their programs (which are not as bad as many people here say).

It all started in March when the upgrade option I needed was not available in their online catalogue for ordering. Instead, so the instructions on their page said, I should use the contact form to contact them.

Well, I would have loved to, but the only reply I got after filling in my name, address, shoe size, blood type etc. was
Server Error in '/' Application., along with some more technical mumbo jumbo.

Thus, I was forced to send them an e-mail to the first two addresses I could find, namely and

I got no reply, but as the deadline for the special offer was about to expire, I wrote to them again, this time addressing my e-mail to and - you'd think SOMEONE was going to read those, right?

Nope, does not exist (well okay, that was just an attempt at guessing a correct address) and the webmaster was probably too busy in other spheres than to bother with lowly would-be-customers desperately trying to buy an advertised product.

So, I tried the same day - no error message, which probably meant it was delivered alright. Still, no reply.

As a last resort, I tried forwarding my cumulative attempts to and wrote:

Please see our unilateral correspondence quoted below. Maybe you would like to sell your product to us - your new parent company doesn't seem interested in doing business with us.

Guess what they replied?

They didn't, of course.

So, it looks like we'll just have to stick to Trados 7.1, then.

Oh well, maybe I should give it some more time - it's only been slightly over three months since I sent the initial inquiry. Of course, the special price offer I wanted to take advantage of has long since elapsed.

Or maybe I should contact them a few more times - after all, I only tried to reach them about four times, plus I sent them a complaint via their online complaint form (these probably get sorted out automatically into the trash folder of their e-mailbox).

Oh, and don't get me started on how they handled the bug report (yes, it is a GENUINE bug, which they finally acknowledged, and a show-stopping one, too) I had to file two months ago...

...On the cocky response I got on the Trados hotline for my irate assumption that "maybe the support lady was trying to hide from me since she didn't even seem to bother replying to my inquiries anymore"...or the fact that none of my very complete and explicit error reports surrounding this bug were actually read and/or understood by the support staff until I'd explained the problem several times

...or the fact that they said they couldn't reproduce the problem in Trados 7.5 until I PROVED TO THEM, with the aid of several colleagues, that it WAS IN FACT easily reproducible even in 7.5.

(Notice something, by the way? 7.5 is the one I don't have. The one they won't sell me. In my initial report I clearly stated that I have Trados version, so why'd they try to reproduce the problem in 7.5, anyway?)

My experience is that when Trados support promises on a Wednesday to get back to you this week, be prepared to have to remind them of that on Tuesday next week. Because they won't get back to you at all if you don't.

Of course, their software developers have not yet gotten around to fixing the bug - they're probably busy coming up with snazzy new features for the next major release.

Okay, I'll admit that I cannot expect to be served in a timely and courteous manner, anyway, because I don't have a support contract.

Then again, I'm willing to bet if I did, I'd probably have even more reason to be angry with them. From what I hear, colleagues who do have support contracts don't exactly get the royal treatment, either.

Plus, I really, honestly, don't see why I would have to pay them a support fee to get a bug fixed that prevents an ADVERTISED FEATURE from functioning properly.

There, I did get started. Sorry, Harold, for hijacking your thread like this, but I'm just so fed up with SDL/Trados' so-called "customer service".

Again, their products are not bad at all, but I think I'll look into buying another product next time. For the hefty prices SDL/Trados demand, I can get two or three licenses from the competition, which would suit me very nicely, considering that our staff numbers are continuously growing...

P.S.: LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This posting represents my personal opinions and is based on the memory of my personal experiences with the customer care of the parties mentioned. I'm hereby explicitly asking all readers NOT to cross-post or forward any of the contents to other locations or entities.

P.P.S.: John Thompson, mysterious man of wonder, if you happen to read this and decide to contact me, please do so via e-mail. My written English is half-decent (I guess) but I really don't like discussing intricate contract details in a foreign language over a noisy international phone line. Thanks for your understanding.

German to English
+ ...
Let Me Help Jul 7, 2006

Hi and thanks for your message. I can understand frustration.

If you give me your personal e-mail to, I'll forward it to John Thompson and some other contacts and let them contact you. OK?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Alerted John Thompson Jul 8, 2006

Hi Benjamin,
P.P.S.: John Thompson, mysterious man of wonder, if you happen to read this and decide to contact me, please do so via e-mail.

I alerted him to this topic.

Best regards,

tectranslate ITS GmbH
+ ...
Thanks Jul 10, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Benjamin,
P.P.S.: John Thompson, mysterious man of wonder, if you happen to read this and decide to contact me, please do so via e-mail.

I alerted him to this topic.

Best regards,

Thanks, Ralf. He called me this morning.

We'll see...I'll let you know if/when the situation is resolved.

Thanks again,

tectranslate ITS GmbH
+ ...
Followup Aug 28, 2006

This is just to give an ending to my story:

After JT's call, things went rather smoothly - they even quoted us the special price advertised back in March. Hooray.

We are now proud owners of an SDL Trados TeamPro 2006 floating license.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scarey Situation Resolved (almost)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs