Word file uneditable after clean up -Trados 6
Thread poster: Stephanie Diaz

Stephanie Diaz
English to Spanish
Jul 6, 2006

I have just finished translating a 40-page file in Word.

I cleaned it up, but to my surprise the new cleaned file is uneditable. I can't place the cursor over any character. Word is not frozen, I can open menus and the like, but if I want to correct any thing in the text, it won't let me do it.

I tried and run the macro to clean up the file again, with the same result.

Surprisingly, the original uncleaned file is missing, it is not in the folder where i saved it, and the only version that i find is the .bak file.

I cleaned again the .bak file, with the same frustrating result.

My deadline is tomorrow and I just don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Stephanie

[Edited at 2006-07-06 22:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 00:55
English to French
Was the cleanup OK? Any messages in the log file? Jul 7, 2006

Hi Stephanie,

You are dealing with a long document (40 pages) and a tight deadline. I never encountered the problem you are describing. So, my question is: were you able to CLOSE the cleanup correctly or is the log file displaying any error message?

Once in a while I have a problem closing the cleanup operation. I then go back to my bilingual document and process all the TM units once or twice (using the "translate to fuzzy" option) to smooth things up. Usually that resets all the missing segmentation marks and tags.

One more hint: my Trados 6.5 has a long list of error messages in the troubleshooting section of the WB help file.

Hope you find a solution before it's too late! Good luck!

Maurice

Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:55
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just close Word Jul 7, 2006

and reopen it. Pull up the document and you can edit it.

At least that has been my experience.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:55
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you clean with Workbench? Jul 7, 2006

If yes - the cause of your problem might be the conversion to rtf during the clean-up process.
If no and you cleaned it with Word macro, then the file is damaged - and it was damaged before...
Should you have cleaned with Workbench, try to clean with Word macro. Usually this method works much better.
If this does not help, open your doc-file in Open Office and save it as doc again. This should help - it helps for almost 90% of all cases.

Regards
Jerzy

Stephanie Diaz
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your input Jul 7, 2006

I started translating this document this Tuesday that's why I couldn't believe I was losing it.

Thanks to Gianfranco Manca's help, who contacted me via proz, the problem was solved, (i mean, he solved the problem). He cleaned the file and sent back and unlocked perfectly editable word file of my work. Thanks Gianfranco.

But we ignore the reason why this happened. Yesterday, I did clean it up with workbench and then with the word macro with the same result, a locked file. It looked like an image file.

The weird thing is that the original .doc file is missing! it's gone, it is not in the folder together with the .bak file.

I couldn't find the locked file that resulted of the cleaning file either, so I tried to produce it again by cleaning it up, but now the entire text of the .bak file is gone with only a line of text (a code I guess) on top.

This is the log for the three clean-up's I did: the first and the second resulted in a locked file and the third, in the dissapearance of the text.

Start Cleanup: Thu Jul 06 18:42:05 2006

Translation Memory: C:\Archivos de programa\TRADOS\T6_LSP\TT\LTS.tmw

C:\Documents and Settings\stephanie\Mis documentos\LTS\julio\para traducir\WBI report-draft-06292006_Spanish-es-tr.doc

(-2147417851): RPC_E_SERVERFAULT (The server threw an exception.)
File skipped!

Cleanup Total (0 files):

Segments Words Chars/Word Placeables
Cleaned 445 6,327 5.55 0
Updated 23 559 5.91 0
Total 701 8,472 5.77 0

Cleanup finished. Warning: 1 error occurred (see above for details)!

Thu Jul 06 18:42:20 2006
================================================================================

Start Cleanup: Thu Jul 06 18:45:42 2006

C:\Documents and Settings\stephanie\Mis documentos\LTS\julio\para traducir\WBI report-draft-06292006_Spanish-es-tr.BAK

(50103): Unknown file format (C:\Documents and Settings\stephanie\Mis documentos\LTS\julio\para traducir\WBI report-draft-06292006_Spanish-es-tr.BAK).
File skipped!

Cleanup Total (0 files):

Cleaned 0 0 0
Updated 0 0 0
Total 0 0 0

Cleanup finished. Warning: 1 error occurred (see above for details)!

Thu Jul 06 18:45:43 2006
================================================================================

Start Cleanup: Fri Jul 07 02:37:29 2006

C:\Documents and Settings\stephanie\Mis documentos\LTS\julio\para traducir\WBI report-draft-06292006_Spanish-es-tr.BAK

Settings file used: C:\Archivos de programa\TRADOS\T6_LSP\TT\HTML4.ini.

Cleaned 0 0 0
Updated 0 0 0
Total 1 1 6.00 0

Cleanup Total (1 file):

Cleaned 0 0 0
Updated 0 0 0
Total 1 1 6.00 0

Cleanup finished successfully without errors!

Fri Jul 07 02:37:31 2006

Fortunately I could continue working, but for those of you who know more about this software, this type of problem is probably intriguing or perhaps you know the reason why this happens.

Thanks for your support.

Stephanie

[Edited at 2006-07-07 14:49]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word file uneditable after clean up -Trados 6

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs