Thread poster: xyyyxyx (X)
xyyyxyx (X)
xyyyxyx (X)
Local time: 08:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 8, 2006

Hello!

I am having quite a time trying to translate graphics within a .html file. Is there a feature in TagEditor that I am missing? Do I need any special software to do it? Help! I am stuck in the middle of all these tags!

Thank you very much.

Salud!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 12:26
German
+ ...
There are no graphics in HTML tags Jul 8, 2006

HTML code cannot contain graphics, only references to graphics files, such as .gif and .jpg files.

If there's text in those that needs translating, someone needs to insert the translations into the graphics files - usually, the client has editable versions of the graphics files where the text can be replaced easily.

You can either ask them to send those editable versions to you (but ONLY if you have the right software to edit them, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel
... See more
HTML code cannot contain graphics, only references to graphics files, such as .gif and .jpg files.

If there's text in those that needs translating, someone needs to insert the translations into the graphics files - usually, the client has editable versions of the graphics files where the text can be replaced easily.

You can either ask them to send those editable versions to you (but ONLY if you have the right software to edit them, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, CorelDraw! or whatever format they may be in AND the necessary experience!)

Or you can send them a bilingual legend in tabular format containing the source text of the graphics on the left and the corresponding translation on the right. Armed with such a legend, the editable files and the necessary software, the client can exchange the text in his graphics and then generate translated .gif/.jpg files via a click of the mouse, replacing those in the site structure.

If editable versions of the graphics are not available anywhere, this may mean tough luck: While .gif and .jpg files CAN be edited, they are pixel graphics, which means they're not made up of lines and boxes and circles and text etc., but by individual pixels only. Modifying the text in them requires pixel-by-pixel retouching work, which can be VERY tedious.

You may get somewhat lucky if all the source text is in a regular font and type on a unicolored background with some free space around it, but if the text is curved, with a 3-d-shining-metal effect and placed over an intricate pattern, then whoever is supposed to replace the text in that file is out of luck.

In case you're wondering now how it's usually done in the translation industry: Some translators who have the knowledge, equipment and spare time offer the graphics editing on top of the translation as an additional service (usually at an additional charge).

We always choose the second path I described and send bilingual legends - let the client sort it out. If they had the foresight to keep editable graphics files, they should have an easy time replacing the text and if they didn't, hm, well then good luck to them.

HTH,
Benjamin
Collapse

xyyyxyx (X)
xyyyxyx (X)
Local time: 08:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 8, 2006

Hello Benjamin!

I cannot thank you enough!

I really appreciate your getting into so much detail, and devoting your time to such a clear and thorough explanation.

I am definitely going for the second method described --bilingual legends.

(It feels great to know one is not alone... Thanks so much for being on the other end.)

Salud!

mari3506
mari3506
Local time: 06:26
English to Spanish
Aboout the graphics... Jul 9, 2006

Hi Jaysea,

Benjamin is right. I think you could ask the client to send you all the html, images, pdf files separate. Also, make sure texts are not embedded in the images, if you are localizing because you may damage the image.

JaySea wrote:

Hello!

I am having quite a time trying to translate graphics within a .html file. Is there a feature in TagEditor that I am missing? Do I need any special software to do it? Help! I am stuck in the middle of all these tags!

Thank you very much.

Salud!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GRAPHICS in .html files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »