Mobile menu

SDL Trados TagEditor and MS Word 2003
Thread poster: xxxVadney
xxxVadney
German to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2006

Several days ago, I posted a message concerning SDL Trados Tag/Editor and MS Word 2003.

I was having a problem with a larger file that freezes and causes me to have to stop, exit the program and restart. Because of the way the file is set up and the fact that the client requires me to use TagEditor (and so I have to like translate around tags) this has become a really time-consuming problem.

Techies I have consulted have suggested it may be an imbedded macro, spreadsheet or other imbedded feature that either MS Word, TagEditor or both can't digest.

Has anyone else had this problem and do you know of any cause or fix?

Thanks very much for your inputs!

Harold

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 22:50
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
hard to say without seeing the file Jul 12, 2006

Some witchcraft without trying to understand what is really going on:

(1) You can try to save as rtf and translate that format.

(2) Unless the formatting is really weird, you might be able to open the file in OpenOffice and save back from that as an MS Word file without damaging it too much. This step sometimes helps.

HTH

Antonin

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
suggest to cut up the file in smaller pieces Jul 13, 2006

... so that you can create TM in peace and at the same time identify the offending part of the document.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, translating a word file with Word or TagEditor should create exactly the same translation memory - so what's the big fuss about TagEditor?!

And if the client gets a bilingual file, why should they care how you got there?

regards

Vito

xxxVadney
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same TM, why the fuss? Jul 13, 2006

I agree with you completely, Vito. But you probably know as well as I do that when a customer gets something into his empty head it becomes an obsession and most agencies don't have the balls to go back and discuss the issue with the customer. They'd rather stick the translator with the problems and then bitch later that something goes wrong.

TagEditor is extremely cumbersome and onerous and takes a great deal more time than translating with Trados Workbench. I tried to reason with the project coordinator (who appears to be dumb as dirt anyway) and am getting nowhere!

I have asked questions, requested background reference material, discussed scheduling, and have gotten less-than-satisfactory support overall.

I keep asking for assistance but keep getting only questions why I have not delivered (I have only requested a new file at least three times because I suspect there's something wrong with the one originally sent -- the reason for my original question on the forum -- but have not gotten it yet.).

So, this is my nightmare project for this year ... hopefully no more like this ...

But you are right, why TagEditor (which has it's uses) and not simply Workbench? I dunno and neither does the agency and apparently neither does the customer.

Thanks very much for your message,

Harold

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
same TM? Jul 13, 2006

As a matter of fact, the TM entries from TagEditor and Workbench do differ (the former contain tags) - whether the customer knows it and that is why he wants to have it that way is hard to tell, without spekaing to them.

For heavily formatted Word files, TagEditor is a far better option than Workbench, in my opinion; another point is that I translate ttx files in Transit, in which it is much more convenient than in TagEditor itself (that is, if I am unable to persuade the customer that Transit is better to be used directly, and most of the time I am unable to persduade them and have to go via Trados).

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados TagEditor and MS Word 2003

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs