Mobile menu

Trados suddenly doesn't open new segment...
Thread poster: Lucy-Jane Michel

Lucy-Jane Michel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:42
French to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2006

Hi all,
I'm using Trados 5.
There I was, merrily clicking and tapping away, when suddenly, I tried to open a new segment and it refused to do anything - just blipped and returned to a previous finished segment earlier in the document...what's going on? I've tried cleaning up the doc, reopening it, redoing it entirely; have I maybe changed a setting somewhere without realising? Any advice much appreciated!
Lucy-Jane

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
A few suggestions Jul 20, 2006

I'd suggest using the "repair" option first and then, if that doesn't work, saving the source text under a new name - all the translations will be in the TM (translation memory) anyway.

Let us know what happens.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
O-kaaay Jul 20, 2006

Thanks Ian!

Well, I tried 'repair' which didn't do anything, then I noticed that there were these strange black square things in bold on the sections that Trados jumped back to...I deleted the sections and it seems to be okay now. Anyone know anything about these black squares and how I can correct them without having to delete segments of text?

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I manage it this way: Jul 20, 2006

In Word I open Trados menu item and I 'Toggle tag protection' (to OFF). Then Options/View I turn on displaying hidden text.

And then I watch the pink tags: {0>, <}0{> and <0} They should match (numbers may vary).

If I do not know where the problem is, I copy the document, clean the copy with Workbench and look for light green << or >> marks.

Then I go to the same place in the uncleaned doc and look again.

Correctly paired tags:
{0>On 1 March 2006 the bonus rate was raised to 7.0%.<}0{>1 marca 2006 r. premie zostały zwiększone do 7%.<0}

[Edited at 2006-07-20 11:38]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
check what TWB says in the status line... Jul 20, 2006

it could be something like "segment seems to be open" or "no segment opened" or similar.

I call this a "beep-beep" situation, because that's all what TRADOS does such strange cases.

You can always dump the work version and retranslate the original document to the point where the file got broken.

Regards

Vito

PS: because HTML eats up bigger and smaller characters, the segment example above is broken - here's the example from above where I replaced bigger and smaller with [ and ]

{0]On 1 March 2006 the bonus rate was raised to 7.0%.[}0{]1 marca 2006 r. premie zostały zwiększone do 7%.[0}

PPS: anybody knows how to get less-than and bigger-than characters iinto the html text?

[Edited at 2006-07-20 11:12]

English to Polish
+ ...
Use character entities Jul 20, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

PPS: anybody knows how to get less-than and bigger-than characters iinto the html text?

> becomes &gt;

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
like in ... ? Jul 20, 2006

{0>On 1 March 2006 the bonus rate was raised to 7.0%.<}0{>1 marca 2006 r. premie zostały zwiększone do 7%.<0}

[Edited at 2006-07-20 15:16]

English to Polish
+ ...
But PROZ does not make it easy Jul 20, 2006

When you edit a post, all previous &s are gone.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 20, 2006

Thanks everyone for your help! Conversation has now moved onto things I can only one day dream of understanding...

LJ

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados suddenly doesn't open new segment...

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs