Hidden Text From an Excel Document Showing Up in Tag Editor... Why?
Thread poster: Pantoglot
Pantoglot
Pantoglot  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 22:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 22, 2006

To Anyone Who Can Help,

THE SITUATION:
I am using TagEditor Version 7.x
Workbench/SDLX, Version 7.x Freelance
Excel 2002

I have been issued several Excel files from a client for a database localization project. The files have quite a bit of text that does not need to be translated (code). It turns out to be approximately half of the text in the files, so it is significant.

I currently need to provide the client with a project schedule an
... See more
To Anyone Who Can Help,

THE SITUATION:
I am using TagEditor Version 7.x
Workbench/SDLX, Version 7.x Freelance
Excel 2002

I have been issued several Excel files from a client for a database localization project. The files have quite a bit of text that does not need to be translated (code). It turns out to be approximately half of the text in the files, so it is significant.

I currently need to provide the client with a project schedule and a quote in which I will provide a discount for repeated text. To do this appropriately, I obviously need to produce a TRADOS analysis that disregards the code text as it will not be translated.

CURRENT PROGRESS:
Although it is a highly manual process, I have come to the conclusion that it is best to simply hide the text that should not be translated in the Excel files. This conclusion is drawn from the following statement in the File Formats Reference Guide...

The Excel filter does not process protected or hidden content. As a result, this type of content is not presented for translation in the TRADOStag document. Before processing, check the settings in each Excel document to make sure that hidden or protected content is made available for processing. Conversely, if your Excel document contains content that you wish to exclude from translation, ***you can hide this content before processing***. (p.238)

With that explained, I have been testing on one of the smaller files. My problem is that after hiding the content that should not be translated, I open the file in TagEditor and it is still there. Because about half the text should not be translated, my Trados analysis of the converted file is not accurate.

ADDITIONAL SETTINGS ADJUSTED:
I have set the Excel Filter Settings/Content and Macro Processing so that the "Translate content from hidden rows and columns" option is not checked. Nonetheless, it still shows when I open the file in TagEditor and it is still included in the Analysis.

OTHER SETTINGS ADJUSTED:
I have also tried adjusting the way hidden content for Excel files is handled in TagEditor by adjusting Excel_2_0_0_0.xml in the following way...

Changed this code... Default

...to this...
Off

It should be necessary, as the default value is Off. I thought I would give it a whirl anyway, but this did not help.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any help hiding this text from TagEditor so that I can get a proper analysis would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Andrew
Collapse

Gary Daine (X)
Gary Daine (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just a thought... Jul 23, 2006

Are you reloading the original file into TE after you make these changes?

I have often made the mistake of changing some parameter and then simply re-opening the ttx file. TE will not re-evaluate the file if it already exists as ttx.

After changing the settings, you must reload the original .xls file to get the changes to work. (I even delete previous ttx files, just to be on the safe side and to force everything to start from scratch.)

Pantoglot
Pantoglot  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 22:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes I am Reloading Jul 23, 2006

Hello Gary,

Thanks for the input, but I have done that. I even went to the extent of deleting the ttx files, as you mentioned, to make sure that everything was loaded afresh after I had changed the parameters in Excel. I am completely stumped.

Thanks anyway,
Andrew

P.S. Even more confusing is that when I open the files in SDLX Standard, they act as expected. The only problem with that is that SDLX Standard does not have the Analyze tool, so I still ca
... See more
Hello Gary,

Thanks for the input, but I have done that. I even went to the extent of deleting the ttx files, as you mentioned, to make sure that everything was loaded afresh after I had changed the parameters in Excel. I am completely stumped.

Thanks anyway,
Andrew

P.S. Even more confusing is that when I open the files in SDLX Standard, they act as expected. The only problem with that is that SDLX Standard does not have the Analyze tool, so I still can't get the analytical information back to my client without upgrading to SDLX Professional or higher.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hidden Text From an Excel Document Showing Up in Tag Editor... Why?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »