Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 00:52
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Jul 24, 2006

If you think it's a joke, it's pretty much unintended. Fact is: if I try to open an XLS file, a true-blood ExCel spreadsheet with just constants, no complexity to it, the system goes into a nirvanaland: TWB, ExCel, TagEditor (and Word!) twiddle their cooperative thumbs, the hard disk light keeps blinking now and then, CPU is at 100% and nothing happens. Until I take mercy (of myself) and terminate TagEditor or ExCel.

It's not the XLS file - even an empty XLS produces the same symptoms.

It's Office 2003, TagEditor 7.5, Build 756

What am I doing wrong?

TiA

Vito

[Edited at 2006-07-24 17:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Corrupted System? Jul 25, 2006

If even your Word does not like this Excel file, DVX will probably not help either, but have you tried to copy it into Notepad or any other text editor?

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have already invoiced the job... Jul 25, 2006

(using the copy-2-text-2-word-TX2-target-2-XL approach). It just riles me I cant make one of the big hooplas of TRADOS 7.5 version work for me.

Next I try an empty PPT and then, if it does not perform as expected, I'll make some more noise. Cross my heart.

regards

smo

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One possible explanation: Jul 26, 2006

The XLS file was HUGE, so probably some stack got shafted or who knows.... On a spur of a moment I opened some ExCel file on this machine with TagEditor and ti worked like a charm.

The same for PPT file: open it, save bilingual (15 slides) ... Could it be, that also a PPT file (see the other thread) can simply get too big?!...

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Sounds reasonable Jul 26, 2006

I noticed that DVX can handle very large files better than Word and even Tageditor, maybe it would be worth to give it a try?

Curious,

Harry

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Contradiction Jul 26, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

It's not the XLS file - even an empty XLS produces the same symptoms.

That must have been a HUGE empty XLS file.

B

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How long time did you allow to open the file? Jul 26, 2006

Don´t be suprised if it takes an hour!
Just go and get yourself something to eat. The opening process lasts very often half an hour or even longer.
As you state, CPU was busy - so let it work.

Best
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open XLS file in TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs