https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/52122-trados_for_windows_98_or_linux.html

Trados for Windows 98 or Linux?
Thread poster: Karina Perry (X)
Karina Perry (X)
Karina Perry (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
English to Danish
+ ...
Jul 27, 2006

My windows computer runs Windows 98SE and is not big enough to upgrade Windows. My other computer is a Linux computer running Fedora Core 4.

I would like to get Trados, but whereever I see them, they don't run on Linux and not on Windows 98. Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:09
German to English
+ ...
Trados for Windows 98 or Linux? Jul 27, 2006

Wordfast (running on Crossover Office), and Heartsome and OmegaT (running on Java) will all run on Linux, and are also all considerably cheaper than Trados.

Trados itself will not run directly on Linux. You could run it on an emulator such as VMWare, but you would still have to install a suitable version of Windows on top of the emulator.

If you really want Trados and the latest version won't run on Windows 98, try to find a used older version.

Marc

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Professional investment Jul 27, 2006

For a variety of reasons, please go get yourself a new computer. It doesn't have to cost much (I'm working on a EUR 500 no-name that is plenty peppy), but if you want to be professional--and are willing to shell out all the money for TRADOS!--then consider this a professional investment.

One more thing, specific to your case: Microsoft recently announced that they are no longer supporting Windows 98, i.e. no new updates for security holes. This means that Windows 98 is now target nu
... See more
For a variety of reasons, please go get yourself a new computer. It doesn't have to cost much (I'm working on a EUR 500 no-name that is plenty peppy), but if you want to be professional--and are willing to shell out all the money for TRADOS!--then consider this a professional investment.

One more thing, specific to your case: Microsoft recently announced that they are no longer supporting Windows 98, i.e. no new updates for security holes. This means that Windows 98 is now target number one for hackers because Microsoft won't be fixing the exploits they create. Bad bad news. Here's an article on the situation: http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/15103084.htm

Good luck!

p.s. Another option: get wordfast, which will work with MS Word for Linux.

[Edited at 2006-07-27 07:40]
Collapse

Karina Perry (X)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Issues not having Trados Jul 27, 2006

Thank you both for your replies.

Marc, according to your profile - you don't have Trados. Is that an issue with you getting translation jobs?

I am asking because it seems like that basically 9 out of 10 jobs in my language pairs require that you have Trados. So I feel I am loosing out on possible jobs because I don't have Trados.

The Linux running programs you both mentioned, are they compatible with Trados?

I mean: my word proccessor in Linux
... See more
Thank you both for your replies.

Marc, according to your profile - you don't have Trados. Is that an issue with you getting translation jobs?

I am asking because it seems like that basically 9 out of 10 jobs in my language pairs require that you have Trados. So I feel I am loosing out on possible jobs because I don't have Trados.

The Linux running programs you both mentioned, are they compatible with Trados?

I mean: my word proccessor in Linux is OpenOffice, but in there I can save documents in MS word format, so someone on a Windows computer can open them.

So can I use a Linux program and create stuff which can be opened in Trados?

Steven, it is exactly due to security reasons that we only have one Windows computer and the other 4 we have run on Linux. We have only kept the windows one, because I have a bank program that wont run on anything else not even an emulator.

Do any of you know where to find an older used version of Trados, that will run on Windows 98? I have tried Ebay, but there is nothing there.

Thank you.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try Wordfast or OmegaT Jul 27, 2006

Karina Perry wrote:
My windows computer runs Windows 98SE and is not big enough to upgrade Windows. My other computer is a Linux computer running Fedora Core 4.

Fedora requires quite a swift processor, doesn't it? So the Fedora computer must be fast enough for Windows 2000, don't you think? Why not have a dual boot machine, then?

Alternatively, if you want some Tradossy features without having Trados itself, you can give Wordfast a go. It runs on MS Word 97 and higher, on Windows 95 and higher.

Alternatively, you can use OmegaT on your Linux box. OmegaT can't handle Trados files (or rather, can't handle them without some serious hacking and various caveats).

You're from the USA, aren't you? Are entry-level computers really that expensive in the USA? I can get a 3.0 GHz machine with 256 MB RAM and all the basic trimmings for under ZAR 2 000 here in ZA (excluding screen and OS).

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Trados for Windows 98 or Linux? Jul 27, 2006

So can I use a Linux program and create stuff which can be opened in Trados?

The answer to this is a little complicated.

If you have OmegaT, you can exchange translation memory files with Trados users in the industry-standard TMX format (Level 1). This is satisfactory if you or your customers want to be able to use previous translations for reference. It is less effective if you expect to be able to run a new text against a legacy translation memory translated by someone else and have all the identical segments replaced automagically. (If you produced the original translation yourself in OmegaT, of course, this is not a problem.)

Wordfast and Heartsome both offer greater compatibility with Trados than does OmegaT: both, for instance, support the "Trados uncleaned file" (bilingual RTF) format, which OmegaT does not. Wordfast claims very high Trados compatibility on its web page: "Wordfast is compatible with all legacy translation environments (Trados, IBM Translation Manager, SDLX, DéjàVu, Transit, either through the TMX format, or directly, at native format level)". I'm not able to confirm or dispute this claim, but if you ask on the Wordfast user list you will probably get an honest answer. Heartsome, by contrast, is extremely conservative with its claims: it does not even claim compatibility with MS Word, since it requires conversion via RTF, although certain other CAT tools make use of the same mechanism and do not hesitate to claim MS Word compatibility. So Heartsome's compatibility with Trados is likely to be at least as good as claimed.

Personally, I don't find OmegaT/Trados compatibility an obstacle to finding work. I have Heartsome and would be prepared to use it if its superior Trados compatibility made the difference between landing or losing an attractive job. In practice, I am occasionally contacted by potential new customers who assume that I have Trados, but the jobs concerned invariably involve other terms that I am not willing to accept, so I never get as far as discussing the technical feasibility.

I am sceptical that 9 out of 10 jobs in any language pair require Trados. Trados may be necessary in certain market segments, but there is a substantial volume of work that does not require Trados, or any other CAT tool for that matter. Incidentally, Bill Maslen touches on this subject in an excellent article in the latest edition of "The Linguist", if you can get hold of a copy.

If you decide that Trados is a must, you should be able to pick up a used copy here on ProZ.com: see Community > Exchange > CAT tools. At the time of writing, there is a copy of Trados 6 on offer for 338 euro. Steven's advice to invest in new hardware is good, and if you are careful to choose Linux-compatible hardware, you can combine Linux security with Trados by running Linux + VMWare + Trados. Alternatively, ask Wordfast and Heartsome users just how compatible with Trados their applications really are. Incidentally, I have long abandoned both Windows and Trados, but would find it difficult to manage entirely without MS Office, though I am hoping that this will change when the new MS XML formats come on stream.

Marc

Karina Perry (X)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 29, 2006

Thank you everyone for your comments. I was able to get a hold of Trados 5.5, which works on my Windows 98.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados for Windows 98 or Linux?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »