Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:24
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2006

I am attempting to download SDL Trados 2006 and I am already having computer problems.

The file downloads and then is extracted in WinZip Self Extractor.

I then get a message that says "795 file(s) unzipped successfully".

When I press OK, I get the following error message:
"c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS Windows applications. Choose close to termination the application."

I am using Windows XP.

What am I doing wrong?

Direct link Reply with quote

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution and Another Question Jul 29, 2006

Found the solution here: http://www.proz.com/post/327444#327444

However, I have another stupid question. The system asked me to select five languages (I selected English, Spanish, Italian, German and French). If I am sent a Trados project memory file in a language not on this list (Portuguese, for example) will I still be able to open it? I translate into English only - should I edit my list of languages and replace English with Portuguese?

Thanks.

[Edited at 2006-07-29 20:19]

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:24
Italian to English
Trados Freelance works with up to five languages Jul 29, 2006

Hi there Tampa guy/gal!

Trados Freelance allows you to select up to five working languages during the installation procedure.

If you select say English, French and German, and later on find you need to create a project involving Spanish, you can do so but you must reinstall the program first. It doesn't matter whether you translate into or from any the language concerned: it just has to be on the list you select during installation.

Agencies and other users who might conceivably need to use more language options can purchase more flexible, and rather more expensive, versions of the Trados suite.

FWIW, I work only from Italian to English but have also installed Greek, Spanish and French in Trados as hobby languages.

HTH

Giles

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Trados for me Jul 30, 2006

Thanks for your help.

However, after taking the tutorial and playing around with the demonstration version, I have decided not to purchase at this time.

I can do what this program does with a pen, paper and my brain without the hassle of opening and closing segments and the multiple bizarre program glitches.

I think that this software would not only slow me down, but also hinder my creativity. This program turns the art of translation into a jigsaw puzzle.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Think of the opportunities you will miss Jul 30, 2006

I do not have TRADOS but I have worked with it at a previous employer. It is very good, very efficient, and it saves lots of time. It does not curtail creativity because the application does not translate anything by itself and, when it does present a previous translation that it found in memory, you may change it as you please. The idea is not to translate the same text twice, as long as it is convenient and appropriate.
Since you seem to be ready to purchase a translation memory, think of the opportunities you will miss for jobs requiring TRADOS.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Help: Error downloading Trados Jul 31, 2006

TampaTranslator wrote:

I can do what this program does with a pen, paper and my brain without the hassle of opening and closing segments and the multiple bizarre program glitches.

As you work in a translation memory application, it creates a database for you containing all the sentences you encounter, together with your translations of them.

Thanks to this database, you can search for a word or phrase and instantly call up onto your screen all the sentences in which it occurred in your previous translations, together with your translations of these sentences of them. This function has various names, depending upon the software ("Concordance", "Fold", "Find"), but the principle is the same.

Can you really do this, instantly, with your pen, paper and brain? I doubt it.

Unfortunately, you will have to work with the program for some time before the database that is created reaches a useful size and you begin seeing the benefits; conversely, there is invariably a certain amount to learn at the beginning.

Marc

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Jul 31, 2006

Hi Marc:

When I have a large job, I write all the reoccuring terms on a piece of paper along with the corresponding translation. By the end of the job, I have usually memorized all of these words/terms.

In the rare event I receive a project that I have translated before (in whole or in part), I always remember that I have translated it before - even if it was 10 years ago. In that case, it is a simple matter of doing a search in Word to find the document or sentence.

I agree that these processes could probably be simplified and less cumbersome with Trados. However, I usually type very quickly (75-80 wpm) and having to open and close segments after each sentence would drive me insane. When I get "in the flow", I do not want to stop typing to have to close a segment or whatever. I would much prefer to work in a system such as SDLX where (as least it used to be) the source and target text are side-by-side and you can move freely up and down the text (segments delimited by boxes) without the need to press or click a lot of extra buttons to move between segments. That is my main problem.

Can I work with SDLX using the Trados TMs the agency sends me and then convert the completed SDLX file into a cleaned Trados file and updated Trados-compatible TM memory? Now that Trados has bought SDLX, will they eventually phase out this program?

[Edited at 2006-07-31 16:34]

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Why not expand Trados with Ando Tools? Jul 31, 2006

Hi again TampaTranslator,

One way of making Trados more user friendly is to add the Ando Tools freeware package:

http://atools.sunsite.dk/#download

The most useful feature for me is the macro which enables you to move to the previous segment as easily as plain vanilla Trados allows you to go on to the next segment. It makes navigating the translation a lot easier.

For terminology management, I must disagree with you. I do a lot of translations for different clients in similar fields and I love MultiTerm, which is far superior to bits of paper, even though it could be considerably simplified.

I've never used SDLX but if I had to choose a non-Word interface CAT tool, I'd go for DVX (I have a licence) with its Auto Assemble feature, a real boon if you have very repetitive texts to translate.

What I would never do is go back to translating without a CAT. The sheer buzz of having all of my previous translations at my finger tips makes translation much more fun!

All the best,

Giles

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Help: Error downloading Trados Aug 1, 2006

TampaTranslator wrote:

When I have a large job, I write all the reoccuring terms on a piece of paper along with the corresponding translation. By the end of the job, I have usually memorized all of these words/terms.

However fast you write all these terms down, it's all extra work. Before I began using TM, I used to make lists of terminology in a separate Word file, which of course had the advantage that I could search the list whilst work was in progress. But it was still extra work. Also, I only made a note of what was obviously "terminology", and there was invariably also some phrase or other that I didn't note and subsequently wished I had.

In the rare event I receive a project that I have translated before (in whole or in part), I always remember that I have translated it before - even if it was 10 years ago. In that case, it is a simple matter of doing a search in Word to find the document or sentence.

First, you have to find the file on your hard drive. Then, you have to open it and find the source sentence. Then you have to open the corresponding target file, and then find the corresponding point in the target file. And then repeat the process for each individual occurrence. Some people use indexing software (e.g. dtsearch or X-1 on Windows, Namazu or Beagle on Linux), which speeds up the process, but it is still far, far more time consuming than marking the term and hitting one keyboard shortcut.

I agree that these processes could probably be simplified and less cumbersome with Trados. However, I usually type very quickly (75-80 wpm) and having to open and close segments after each sentence would drive me insane.

I am also a fairly fast typist, but find that the actual typing accounts for only a small part of the work. This may be related to the kind of work I do. At any rate: you have fifteen or so different CAT tools to choose from, so if you don't like the way Trados works, why not try some of the alternatives?

Closing a segment and moving to and opening the next should just be a matter of one keystroke (e.g. Enter), and the next segment should be opened immediately. Is the problem the delay? Even with SDLX, if I'm not mistaken, a segment still has to be made active.

Can I work with SDLX using the Trados TMs the agency sends me and then convert the completed SDLX file into a cleaned Trados file and updated Trados-compatible TM memory?

You can exchange translation memories in the industry-standard TMX format. Most TM programs, including SDLX and Trados, can import and export memories in TMX.

Having said all that: if you have a method that works for you, by all means stick with it.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Error downloading Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs