Mobile menu

Trados WB crashes often during translation...
Thread poster: Heike Steffens

Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:28
Italian to German
+ ...
Aug 1, 2006

... of a simple Word-file (table-format).

Hello to all!
I hope I will be able to explain my problem in English
I'm using SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 7.1.0.719 (Build 719) and very often during translation Workbench loses the connection to MultiTerm or crashes with a "pure virtual function call" or something like that. After restarting it, several already translated units are lost (at least in the Workbench). Fortunately, they are still available in the Word-Document, but I have to reopen segment per segment to get them back into the Workbench.

Does anybody have an idea of how to solve this problem? It's not the first time, this happens (the loss of connection to MultiTerm, for example, happens as well in TagEditor). I would really appreciate to have this fixed.
The continuos problems of this kind have been the main reason for me for NOT buying this year's upgrade version, as I had noticed that problems get worse from year to year.

Help?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
First: the problems do not get worse Aug 1, 2006

They possibly change...

"Pure virtual function call" is not "something like that", it would be helpful, if you could get the error message exactly.

I kept on getting "Error R6025 pure virtual function call" for a long time. In my case the solution was using the Workbench 7.5.0.756 (buid 756) together with Multiterm 7.0.1.320 (build 320). This error is partially caused by missing installation of Java Runtime Environment. I made the experience, that JRE version Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_03 and SE v1.4.2_08. You can also have JRE 5 update 6 and 7 installed, but the both older versions are crucial.
You also need Microsoft NET Framework 1.1!

It is astonishing, but it seems that Trados software is not compatible with newer versions of the above mentioned software.
Now, having all the above installed on my PC I do not have any problems with "Pure virtual function call", but only when using the above mentioned combination of Workbench and Multiterm.

You might also consider registering Trados using the little program SelfRegister_Not_Silent.bat from Trados installation folder (it is located there in the TT subfolder). If you get any error messages, post them here.
Please consider also registering of Multiterm, using #_SelfRegister.bat, located in MT installation folder.
Sometimes this actions can be helpful too.

Best regards
Jerzy

Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jerzy Aug 1, 2006

I admit, that it is a bit confusing as I'm not really a PC-expert.
I have checked the software versions installed and have found the following:

Microsoft.NET Framework (English) v1.0.3705
Microsoft.NET Framework 1.0 Hotfix
Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 German Language Pack
Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix

Very confusing - why so many versions? I believe, different programms install them automatically according to their own needs?

For what Java is concerned:

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6

I have no idea how to change that - I think, the programme updates itself nearly automatically?

Ah, yes, I still use MultiTerm 6.2.0.287 (build 287), because I had problems with the newer version. After long discussions with the Trados people, we could not solve the problem, that the simple copying of the relevant files from PC to laptop was no longer possibile. In order to have the data base transferred from PC to laptop, I had to make an export and then the import which would have taken me more than 1 hour every time which is something impossible in my view! So I chose to stay with the "old" version. As I know of some collegue who uses still the MT 5 version, I can't believe, that this is the problem here, is it?

You told me about self-registering - I have not yet tried this (I admit that I'm a bit afraid of doing so, because in the past, Trados has been quite often the reason for PC crashes, sometimes with really bad consequences). I don't want you to misunderstand me: I really LIKE working with Trados, but sometimes I wish, things could be a bit easier for someone who is not exactly a computer expert. How should one know about all these details you mentioned, and why don't they tell us in advance all about the peripherical programmes needed??

Thank you very much again for your help and good night!
Heike

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It seems the proper JRE is missing in your system Aug 1, 2006

You can find the necessary installation file in the folder, where you downloaded and unzipped the Multiterm installation files.
It is copied into the directory ISSetupPrerequisites\Java... and is called j2re-1_4_2_08-windows-i586-p.exe.

If you don´t find this file, please contact me and I´ll send it to you.

As for the rest - registering Trados applications will not harm your PC, at least as far my experience goes.

Regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
summary of solutions found to this kind of problems Aug 1, 2006

in the following thread:

http://www.proz.com/topic/50964

the symptoms you have been mentioning point at what manifested itself in my case as "can't create Java machine", reason being I had Java RE version 1.5 and Trados requires 1.4.x.

Jerzy had a right suggestion. My addendum just in case you get a different kind of cold (g).

Regards

Vito

Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
j2re-1_4_2_08-windows-i586-p.exe ?? Aug 2, 2006

Dear Jerzy,

thank you very much for your help! I have checked my MT-download directory where I only find the unzipped exe-file MTiX-Workstation_6.2.0.287.exe", so that I had a look in the installed directories of TRADOS-MULTITERM where I did not find the suggested.

If you could really let me have the file you mentioned and if it's not asking too much of you, I would really really appreciate that, as it would be wonderful to work finally with Trados without the constant fear of loosing data!

Thank you so much!!!!!

Herzliche Grüße
Heike

Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Vito Aug 2, 2006

Hi Vito,
I would like to thank you as well - I just had a brief look at what you collected, and will go into it more in detail today.

Once again: thanks to both of you!!

Heike

Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 05:28
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
How to donwload the right Java file Apr 12, 2012

Dear all,

after some problems with my computer, I had to reinstalla Trados. As I couldn't resend the licence before the crash computer, SDL sent to me a new download and reinitialize my licence. But now I have the same problem as Heike so I checked the JAVA version and I have installed JRE 1.6.0_03. How to download a previous version?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Have a nice day.

Sandrine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados WB crashes often during translation...

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs