Should I buy 'support and maintenance' together with Trados?
Thread poster: Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:27
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 2, 2006

Hi everyone! I'm about to buy SDL Trados with the Proz.com Group Buy Sale, but I'm not sure whether to buy the 'support and maintenance' they offer with it. It's nearly an extra 90€ for a year coverage. Would you recommend it? I especially don't understand about the support: does it mean if I don't get it, I won't receive any support in case of problems?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Mara

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes, I would Aug 2, 2006

this is "only" 90 Euros, compared to previously something about 300 Euro for a year coverage.

I would invest this money - it is a kind of insurance
Personally I did and I am using it.

Regards
Jerzy

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more info about the support Aug 2, 2006

thanks Jerzy. What does the support actually consist in?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You get help on priority Aug 2, 2006

When you get a problem and contact the support, your case will be treated with priority, so you can hope for an answer within 24 hrs.
The rest depends on the problem - either you´ll get the solution directly or the support will be working on the solution together with you.

Regards
Jerzy

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Sure? Aug 2, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

either you´ll get the solution directly or the support will be working on the solution together with you.

Oh, really?

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks - got it Aug 2, 2006

well, Jerzy, thank you very much again!
I bought it now anyway, hope it's gonna be useful! it seems to be at least for the free upgrades.

Tectranslate, hi!, why did you say 'sure?', you didn't know, or you think it's not true? hope for the first now I got it!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
I heard reports to the contrary Aug 2, 2006

Mara Ballarini wrote:

Tectranslate, hi!, why did you say 'sure?', you didn't know, or you think it's not true? hope for the first now I got it!

I think it's not true / they're not as helpful as one would expect.

I thought I'd heard someone tell me about a problem he had recently where the Trados support person simply told him that "his file is in an invalid format" when it actually wasn't. That's not a solution, in my opinion.

Regards,
Benjamin

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hope it turns out to be a good service Aug 2, 2006

oh! no, that's not good, especially if that person had spent money (like me) on the 'support'. Well, first of all I hope I'll never have any problems! in case I do, if it turns out to be a good service, or not, I'll let you know - if you want me to, of course!)

thanks for your comments,
Mara

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hands-on experience Aug 2, 2006

Hi Mara,
I don't have any experience with Freelance support, but I have taken out a support and maintenance agreement for several Team Pro licenses. So far Trados Support staff have been extremely helpful.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
One case makes not all bad Aug 2, 2006

Indeed the support could be better - but OTOH when you have a problem you are not alone.
There are problems of this and that kind - so my personal cases are not representative enough. And even if I did not get help in any situation, I got some valuable tipps from the support - some of them were then presented here in this forum.
So I think this is als everything in life - not 100% perfect, but still better than nothing. Certainly an advantage to have a support contract, as when you d
... See more
Indeed the support could be better - but OTOH when you have a problem you are not alone.
There are problems of this and that kind - so my personal cases are not representative enough. And even if I did not get help in any situation, I got some valuable tipps from the support - some of them were then presented here in this forum.
So I think this is als everything in life - not 100% perfect, but still better than nothing. Certainly an advantage to have a support contract, as when you don´t have it, you will surely not get better support

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
90 Euros is not that much money Aug 2, 2006

Sorry for coming across as such a nag, but I'm not the kind of person to call for help as long as I think I can fix it myself (or that the problem may be my own fault*). And I think I know fairly much about using CAT tools in general and Trados in particular.

So whenever I do contact the support, it is a grave problem I'm dealing with, not just a minor nuisance - and in
... See more
Sorry for coming across as such a nag, but I'm not the kind of person to call for help as long as I think I can fix it myself (or that the problem may be my own fault*). And I think I know fairly much about using CAT tools in general and Trados in particular.

So whenever I do contact the support, it is a grave problem I'm dealing with, not just a minor nuisance - and in that regard, my experience with Trados support has been, well, shall we say "so-so"?

Most of the time, it was a real, reproducible program bug that took months for the developers to fix, and there wasn't any quick remedy. So, having a support contract didn't help me / would not have helped me any in those situations.

I guess for 90 Euros, I'd probably buy the support option, too, even if I weren't sure whether it would actually pay off.

But as an LSP, I probably won't get support for a mere 90 Euros, anyway.

B

* I'm also the kind of person who won't go to the doctor unless I get worried that I won't be able to stop the bleeding on my own.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
My position is similar to yours, Benjamin Aug 2, 2006

with the slight difference, that I could buy the support option for not a big amount of money in the Early Bird action. AFAIR it was even less than 90 Euros.
So maybe therefore I´m not expecting too much.

Regards
Jerzy

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already had to use the support Aug 3, 2006

tectranslate wrote:

well, then I'm sure I got a deal, I'm not an expert at all, actually, I love working with computers but I absolutely hate working - let's say - ON computers. Dunno nothing of what's inside their 'mind' and the problem is I don't even want to. and it seems computers know that and sometimes play weird tricks on me!!!
ANyway had a little problem yesterday, just like that straightaway downloading trados, generating a license (apparently a button has been removed but not from the instructions, so I was lost) didn't want to start with the wrong foot straight from the installation! So I contacted them, and well, a very easy thing, but at least I got help straight away. A good start, I think!
Thank you all for YOUR support!!

P.S. for Tectranslation: with doctors is another thing for me too!!

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 09:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
Is it fair! Aug 3, 2006

I would pose this issue from another perspective. Is it fair for Trados developer to release a version that translators encounter many problems dealing with then the company imposes support fees for such version?!
I understand that it is hard to get something perfect but exploring Trados forums we can find a huge number of posts requesting support.
I like Trados so much and it is of great help to me but I wish developers work upon it to come up with a well-tested version. I may hear
... See more
I would pose this issue from another perspective. Is it fair for Trados developer to release a version that translators encounter many problems dealing with then the company imposes support fees for such version?!
I understand that it is hard to get something perfect but exploring Trados forums we can find a huge number of posts requesting support.
I like Trados so much and it is of great help to me but I wish developers work upon it to come up with a well-tested version. I may hear developers whispering: “How then we get extra money from support?”

Regards
Ahmed wadan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I buy 'support and maintenance' together with Trados?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »